I simply love Cheese Straws. This snack can be had anytime and I can go on munching them. I usually have cheese straws with indian tea or coffee. It is also not difficult to make them, provided the ingredients are measured properly. As with all bakery stuff, the ingredients for cheese straws have to be measured properly before making them. It normally takes less than one hour to make them. If you are fond of cheese and biscuits then you might like whole wheat cheddar cheese biscuits and cheese biscuits recipe.
Cheese Straw Ingredients:
- 85 gms Cheese
- 60 gms Margarine or Butter
- 90 gms All purpose flour or Maida – Refined Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp each of pepper and mustard powder
- 1 beaten egg or 2 tbsp milk
- a pinch of salt
Method to make Cheese Straws:
- Grate the cheese.
- Seive the salt, flour, pepper and mustard powder.
- Cut Margarine or Butter into the flour with knife and rub with finger tips to a bread crumb consistency.
- Stir in grated cheese and knead till a soft dough is formed.
- Roll out thinly on a floored board with a rolling pin.
- Cut into narrow long strips of 8 cms length and 1-1.5 cms width
- Give a twist to the strips with your fingers
- Gently keep the cheese straws on a lined or greased and dusted baking sheet/tray.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven at 175 C for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool it once done and store in an air-tight container. You can serve it with a cheese dip or sour cream or just have it plain.