cheese biscuits recipe with step by step photos – a delightful warm savory snack to be had with a hot mug of coffee or tea. one of the best baked recipes, i have made.
cheese biscuits were so good that we finished it in two days. it was our tea time snack and munch-in between snack. the recipe has been adapted from here.
the day i saw this recipe, i knew i had to make these. i adapted this recipe to suit the indian tastebuds by adding some ajwain (carom seeds) and jeera (cumin). i used regular cheese instead of parmesan and added milk instead of buttermilk.
these cheese biscuits have a crisp texture on the outside and are soft on the inside like bread. they are not what we indians call as biscuits, crisp outside as well as inside. few more similar snack recipes are butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, cheese chilli toast, corn cheese balls and cheese balls recipe.
the term biscuit is used for two different products in america and the common wealth nations, including united kingdom. this is what the wikipedia has to say:
In the United States it is a small, soft, leavened bread, somewhat similar to a scone. A Southern regional variation on the term, beaten biscuit, is closer to the British form.
In Commonwealth English, it is a small and hard, often sweet, baked product that would be called either a cookie or a cracker in the United States, and either a biscuit or a cookie in Canada. Biscuits in the British Isles may be savoury (savoury biscuits are often referred to as “crackers”) or sweet, such as chocolate biscuits, ginger nuts, custard creams or the Nice biscuit.
so this cheese biscuits is the american one, crisp and soft both. the step by step photographs have been taken in the not so good lights in the kitchen at night time, hence the pics are so so 🙁
the final pic has turned out good, as taken the pics in daylight 🙂
cheese biscuits recipe details below:
cheese biscuits recipe - simple recipe of making cheese biscuits from scratch.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 7 tablespoon cold butter
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 scallions (spring onions) - finally chopped
- 1.5 cups grated cheese, you can also add more.
- ½ cup buttermilk or milk
- sea salt or black salt for sprinkling
- preheat the oven to 190 degree celsius.
- sift the flour with baking powder and salt. add the all the spices and the spice powders. mix well.
- take butter and chop them in pieces.
- mix the butter pieces with your fingertips with the flour till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. if the butter starts to melt, than keep the flour mixture in the fridge.
- add the chopped scallions, grated cheese mix again.
- add buttermilk or milk and knead the whole mixture lightly. add some more milk if required.
- do not over knead.
- roll out dough on a floured surface into 8x8 inch square.
- cut into 2x2 inch squares.
- sprinkle the salt on the cheese squares.
- bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- whilst still hot, remove the cheese biscuits and keep to cool on a wire rack. if you keep the biscuits till they become cool in the tray, they become moist from the base due to heat evaporation.
- once they are cooled, store cheese biscuits in an air tight container.
- warm the cheese biscuits for 3-4 minutes in the oven just before having them.
step by step cheese biscuits recipe from scratch.
1. preheat the oven to 190 degree celsius. seive the the flour with salt and baking powder. mix in the black pepper powder, red chili powder along with the carom seeds and cumin seeds. chop the butter in small pieces. mix the butter pieces with your finger tips with the flour mixture until the whole mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
if the butter melts while mixing, keep the mixture in the fridge for few minutes and then start again. i had to do this twice as the butter started to melt. add the chopped scallions, grated cheese and mix again.
2. add the buttermilk or milk and bring the whole mixture together. knead lightly. do not over knead. roll out the dough on a floured surface. into a square of 8×8 inch square. cut into 2×2 inch squares. sprinkle the biscuit squares with sea salt or black salt.
3. arrange on a greased or lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes…
4. or till the biscuits become golden…
5. whilst still hot, remove the cheese biscuits and keep to cool on a wire rack. if you keep the biscuits till they become cool in the tray, they become moist from the base due to heat evaporation. once they are cooled, store cheese biscuits in an air tight container. warm them for 2-3 minutes in the oven just before having them.
enjoy the cheese biscuits as a delicous tea time snack.