bajra roti or bajra bhakri recipe with step by step photos – bajra roti are flat breads made from millet flour. they are very easy to make and make a good accompaniment to dal or any indian vegetable based curry dish.
bajra is the hindi word for pearl millet. these flat breads are gluten free and an excellent nutritious option for people having gluten intolerance and for everybody else too.
on some days i make jowar rotis (sorghum flour flat bread). somedays it is multigrain flour rotis. sometimes i mix all the flours and make rotis. since rotis are a staple in my house, i make various rotis with various millets .
i even make rotis from ragi/finger millet flour on some days. millets are healthy grains. so do try to include them in your diet.
i always knead these bajra rotis in hot water. the dough become pliable and easy to roll when using hot water. the rotis have a soft texture too. you can also knead the dough in warm water.
i had served the bajra rotis with bharli vangi – stuffed aubergines in peanut-coconut-sesame gravy. the combo was really good. you can also serve the bajra rotis with any any dal. they would even taste great with a good north indian, maharashtrian or gujarati vegetable or legumes curry or mixed sprouts curry recipe.
bajra roti or bajra bhakri recipe below:
- 2 to 21/2 cups bajra flour/millet flour
- 1 tsp oil or ghee
- water as required
- salt as required
- some bajra flour or whole wheat flour for dusting
- sunflower oil or ghee for applying on the rotis or for frying them
- heat or warm the water. add salt and oil. stir.
- add the bajra flour. stir with a spoon. knead into a smooth dough.
- if the dough becomes sticky, then add more flour. if the dough is dry, then add some water.
- meanwhile heat a tava or flat fry pan.
- make medium sized balls. dust with flour and use a ziplock bag for rolling.
- remove gently from the ziplock bag and place on the hot tava.
- cook till both sides have brown spots and done.
- apply oil or ghee on one side.
- you can also fry the bajra rotis like parathas with oil or ghee directly in the tava/frying pan.
- serve bajra roti hot or warm with a vegetable side dish or curry.
step by step bajra bhakri or bajra roti recipe:
1: first heat the water. the water should be hot. switch off the fire. then add oil plus salt. mix well.
2: add the bajra flour to the water or vice versa.
3: mix with a spoon if the water is hot. if you use warm water, then you can just use your hands for mixing.
4: gather the mixed dough and knead to a smooth dough.
5: pinch a small or medium sized ball, flatten it and dust with some bajra flour.
6: with your palms flatten the dough. i am not good in this. so fold a ziplock bag, place the dough ball in between and roll with a rolling pin. dust flour if required.
7: gently remove the flat uncooked bread from the ziplock bag and place it on a hot tava or flat pan.
8: cook on side. flip and cook the other side. flip a couple of times and cook til brown spots appear on both sides. apply some oil or ghee on top. stack all the rotis in a roti basket or casserole.
9: you can serve bajra roti hot or warm with an indian vegetable curry, dal or side veggie dish.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media