the north indians love their aloo gobi, aloo matar, gobi matar and also their aloo gobi matar. sometimes i think that aloo and gobi is their favorite as they love aloo paratha as well as gobi paratha.
aloo gobi matar- meaning potatoes cauliflower green peas. an onion-tomato based curry made with these three veggies is truly a delight to have with some chapatis or naan or even steamed rice.
this aloo gobi matar recipe is a slight variation of the recipe that we make at home and thus you have more deliciousness on your table.
now this is a gravy recipe of aloo gobi matar and not a dry version. will also post the dry version in some time.
i don’t know what else to say about aloo gobi matar….so stopping now
you might also love to check these gobi recipes:
and recipe details for aloo gobi matar given below:
- 2 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 cups peeled & chopped potatoes
- 1 or 1.5 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 small bay leaves or 1 large bay leaf
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed
- 2 tbsp oil
- few coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt as required
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- ½ inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic
- firstly, rinse and chop all the veggies.
- keep the cauliflower florets in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- then drain the florets and keep aside.
- blend the the onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic till smooth in a blender with no water or very little water.
- heat oil in a pan.
- fry the cumin first with the bay leaves.
- add the chopped onions and fry till light brown.
- add the ground onion-tomato paste
- stir and then add all the spice powders, one by one.
- fry the masala till the oil starts to leave the sides.
- keep on stirring so that the masala does not stick to the pan.
- this might take around 7-9 minutes.
- now add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and peas.
- add 3 cups water and stir the curry.
- finally add the slit green chilies and salt.
- let the whole curry come to a boil.
- then cover with a lid and let the curry simmer till the veggies are cooked.
- finally add crushed kasuri methi leaves
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve aloo gobi matar hot with some chapatis or steamed rice.