Wouldn’t you be elated to eat an Ice Cream that’s delicious as well as pretty too? Tutti frutti brings just that pop of color and aesthetics in this ice cream. Try this simple and easy Tutti Frutti Ice Cream made with only 4 ingredients. I bet once you try this Tutti Frutti Ice Cream version, you will forget the ones available in the market.
Table of Contents
About Tutti Frutti Ice Cream
Tutti Frutti Ice cream is a soft and fluffy treat that has chewy and sweet bites of tutti frutti in it. Tutti frutti are basically candied fruits.
In India, tutti frutti is candied papaya bits made from the raw unripe fruit. However globally, it can also be made with pineapple, cherries, currants, watermelon rind, apricots and various berries too.
This basic 2-ingredient Tutti Frutti Ice Cream recipe uses only whipping cream and condensed milk. Thus, has no chance of getting ice crystal formation in it.
The most apt way to make this recipe is by using 30% to 50% fat whipping cream. I always add 2.5 to 2.75 cups of cream for 1 can of sweetened condensed milk as this much sweetness in the ice cream is perfect for us. If you like more sweetness in your ice cream, go for 2 cups cream with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
I don’t make tutti frutti at home as it is quite a tedious and time-consuming process. Hence, I purchase good quality tutti frutti from the market. Beside this Tutti Frutti Ice Cream, I also use them to make Tutti Frutti Cake and Tutti Frutti Cookies.
Why This Recipe Works
I found out about these easily doable 2 or 3 ingredient vanilla ice cream recipes some years back from the thekitchn.com. Since then, I have stuck to these and used it for many of my own recipe versions like this Tutti Frutti Ice Cream.
The best thing is that these ice cream recipes get done effortlessly, without any cooking or an ice cream maker. So that way, it becomes quite a hassle-free job and you don’t really have to rack your brains to make one.
Usually, I add some milk in all my ice cream recipes. But these 2 ingredient recipes are a breeze to make. Because of the ease that this method has, I’ve been using it and making vanilla ice cream with it for quite some time. Then elevated it by the addition of tutti frutti and turned it into a soft, smooth, creamy and yum Tutti Frutti Ice Cream.
This no-churn, no-cook ice cream mixture can be prepared in about 15 minutes flat. Whatever extra time that is required is for the ice cream to set nicely. Enjoy this ice cream as it is or use it as a base to make many more fun flavored ice creams. The choice is yours!
How to make Tutti Frutti Ice Cream
1. In a large bowl, take 2.5 to 2.75 cups of chilled or cold whipping cream (30% to 50% fat). Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. If using vanilla essence, then add 1 teaspoon of it.
2. With an electric beater at full speed, begin to whip the cream. Timing will vary depending on the fat content in the cream. You could also use a stand mixer to whip the cream.
Also, be careful while whipping and do not whip too much, as then the cream would get churned into butter.
3. Whip till stiff peaks are formed. You can also whip till soft peaks if using 25% fat cream.
4. Now, add 400 grams chilled sweetened condensed milk (400 ml or about 1.6 cups).
5. Fold gently, but very well. Remember not to overfold as then the ice cream mixture can fall flat.
6. Next, add ⅓ to ½ cup of tutti frutti.
7. Fold again.
8. Take the ice cream mixture in a box or container and cover it tightly. Or you can cover the same bowl (if its freezer safe) with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil.
9. Freeze till the ice cream is set.
10. Before serving, keep the ice cream box, container or bowl for some minutes at room temperature. Then, scoop and serve Tutti Frutti Ice Cream. If you want, you can sprinkle some tutti frutti on top.
- Folding of the ice cream mixture has to be done gently. You must not over do the folding or mix vigorously. It will make the ice cream mixture fall flat.
- An alternative to tutti frutti is glazed cherries. Chop them into small pieces and use. Dry fruits can also be used in place of tutti frutti.
- If you are unable to get tutti frutti in stores, order online. It is easily available there.
- The cream should be whipped till stiff peaks are formed. When done perfectly, the whipped cream will not fall from the bowl turned upside down.
- Keep the Tutti Frutti Ice Cream at room temperature for about 5 to 6 minutes if you are unable to scoop the set ice cream.
Yes, it is the same.
Yes, you can use this cream, but it may not whip to stiff peaks. So whip until you get soft peaks.
You can use finely chopped glazed cherries or add some dried berries or dry fruits instead of tutti frutti.
When whipped till stiff, the cream increases in volume. Check whether the cream falls after turning the bowl upside down. If not, then it has been whipped as desired.
Yes. The use of vanilla extract can be skipped. You can use other essences to flavor.
You aren’t able to achieve stiff peaks because the cream you are using has a lesser fat content.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Tutti Frutti Ice Cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk – 400 ml, about 1.6 cups
- 2.5 to 2.75 cup whipping cream – 30% to 50% fat, cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ⅓ to ½ cup tutti frutti (candied raw papaya pieces) – can add more if required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tutti frutti – for garnish
- In a large bowl, take the cold whipping cream.
- Add vanilla extract or vanilla essence.
- With an electric beater, whip till stiff peaks are formed. You can also use a stand mixer to whip the cream.
- Add chilled sweetened condensed milk.
- Fold gently, but very well to an even mixture. Also, remember not to over do the folding as the ice cream mixture can fall flat.
- Next, add tutti frutti and fold again gently.
- Transfer the ice cream in a box or container and cover it tightly. Or you can cover the same bowl (if its freezer safe) with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Freeze until the ice cream is firm and set.
- Before serving, keep the ice cream box, container or bowl for some minutes at room temperature. Then, scoop and serve Tutti Frutti Ice Cream. If you want, you can sprinkle some tutti frutti on top.
- Sugar is not added in the recipe as the condensed milk makes up for the sweetness in the ice cream.
- Swap tutti frutti with candied cherries or dried berries or your preferred dry fruits.
- Remember to whip the cream until you get stiff peaks. Do not try to beat or whip for more time after getting the stiff peaks as the cream can churn into butter.
- The recipe can be halved or doubled according to your needs.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Tutti Frutti Ice Cream post from the blog archives first published in May 2017 has been republished and updated on April 2023.