Palak pakoras or spinach fritters That can be made during Navratri fasting. in our home, we use spinach during Navratri fasting or on any fasting occasion. But in some communities spinach is not used during fasting days.
The Navratri fasting rules varies for some ingredients like spinach, mint, amchur (dry mango powder), coriander and so on. you can go through this details post on Navratri vrat rules.
I had made these crisp palak pakoras on one of the fasting days more than a month ago. Since these palak pakoras were made for fasting, we cannot use corn flour or gram flour for making the pakoras. In this recipe, I have used Kuttu ka atta or buckwheat flour in this recipe. If you don’t have buckwheat flour, then replace with singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour) or rajgira ka atta (amaranth flour).
If you are planning to make Pakoras on non-fasting days then you can check this Palak pakora recipe.
In case, you want to make something from palak or spinach for fasting then you can try this Vrat ki aloo palak sabzi. other fried snacks which can be made for the fasting period are:
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
vrat ka palak pakora
- 1 cup kuttu ka atta or buckwheat flour
- 1 cup chopped palak or spinach leaves - tightly packed
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tablespoon peanuts (moongphali)
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or sendha namak as required
- water as required
- Roast the peanuts in a small pan till they become crisp.
- When they cool, coarsely crush them in a mortar-pestle.
- Rinse the spinach leaves and finely them.
- In a bowl, mix everything including the coarsely powdered peanuts.
- Add very little water and make a thick batter.
- Heat oil for shallow or deep frying in kadai or pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the hot oil and fry till crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve the vrat palak pakora with coriander chutney, coconut chutney or homemade tomato sauce.