naan bread with yeast recipe with step by step photos – i make naans often at home. so when i had made these naans they puffed up like pita breads.
i was amazed seeing them puffing so well. i have never seen naans like these except for one restaurant where we live, which makes amazing naans. hence, i was not sure of posting this recipe. so i asked my facebooks readers and after getting a thumbs up from them, i am sharing this naan recipe.
the taste of this naan is like a naan as the recipe is of a naan bread. they have a light & soft texture from inside with a slight crispness from out. they do not taste like a pita bread and unlike a pita bread which is a very basic bread.
this naan recipe uses a good amount of oil and some extra sugar and less amount of yeast. naan goes very well with curry dishes like:
i made 10 naans and 8 of them fully puffed up. its the rolling of the naan bread that helps them to puff up so well. if you evenly roll the naan without any breaks or tears they will puff up nicely. moreover i have not topped the naan bread with nigella seeds or sesame seeds or any herbs. so this also helped.
5 naans i made in the oven and the remaining 5, i made on a stove top on the tava/griddle. to see the step by step pics of how naan is made on the tava, have a look at the garlic naan recipe post
along with the above garlic naan recipe, this is the sixth naan recipe i am sharing on the blog.
other naan bread recipes are
- naan recipe on stove top (easy naan recipe with step by step photos)
- wheat naan with yeast (crisp and light naan – recipe with step by step photos)
- butter naan with yeast (soft whole wheat butter naans on stove top. recipe with step by step photos)
- cheese garlic naan on tawa (no yeast naan recipe on tawa or skillet or stovetop).
naan with yeast
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 to 3.25 cups maida (all purpose flour)
- 1 cup water or as required
- 2.5 to 3 tablespoon oil (ghee or butter)
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- butter for brushing the naans, as required
how to make naan with yeast
making dough for naan bread
- first dissolve the sugar in 1 cup water. warm this solution.
- then dissolve the yeast and let the yeast bubble up. this takes about 10 to 12 mins.
- when the yeast solution has bubbled up well then add this frothy solution in a mixing bowl.
- add the maida/all purpose flour, salt, oil and keep on mixing with hands.
- add oil and then knead to a smooth, soft, springy and elastic dough.
- if the dough looks dry then add a few tbsp of water and knead.
- if the dough has become too sticky, add a few tbsp of flour and knead,
- the dough should be well kneaded and soft. if you press the dough with your finger it should spring back easily.
- place the dough in a bowl and cover with a cotton napkin or lid and keep for 1:30 to 2 hours at room temperature.
- now make medium sized balls from the dough. roll them well in your palms. place the balls in a tray or plate.
- cover them with a cotton napkin or lid and again allow to stand for 30 mins.
- the dough balls will double up.
- before you start rolling the naans, heat your oven to the max temperature at least 20-25 mins before. my oven has the maximum at 250 degrees C.
- please note that if you keep above 250 degrees C than the baking time will reduce.
- once the oven is preheated well, then start rolling the naan evenly.
- keep a medium thickness, meaning rolls the naans neither thick nor thin.
- place the rolled naan on a greased pan or tray and keep in the oven.
bake naan bread for 7-10 minutes till brown spots seen on the top and the naan puffs up well.
with the help of oven mitts remove the tray from the oven. remove the naan also and spread some butter on them.
serve naan bread hot with a north indian or mughlai vegetable curry or dal/lentil dish.
- preheat the oven at 200 degrees C at least 20 minutes before you start to make the naan.
- place the rolled naan in the greased baking tray.
- bake at 200 degree for 4-8 minutes or more or less till the naan puffs well and become golden from top.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - naan with yeast on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make naan bread with yeast
1. first you need to proof the yeast. warm water. stir in sugar and yeast and allow to sit for 10-12 minutes at room temperature.
2. in a wide mixing bowl, add everything – the frothy yeast solution, the flour, salt, oil.
3. mix well and then adding water in intervals, knead to a soft, springy dough.
4. just lightly rub oil or water all over the dough and place in the same bowl. cover with a kitchen towel or lid and let the dough leaven for about 1:30 to 2 hours. keep in a warm place or corner.
5. once the dough has leavened, make medium balls from it and cover and keep aside for 30 mins.
6. the dough balls will double up.
7. heat your oven to the max temperature at least 20-25 mins before you start rolling the naans on a lightly dusted board or work surface. my oven has the maximum at 250 degrees C.
8. place the rolled naan on a greased pan or tray.
9. place the tray in the oven on the top rack with both the top and bottom heating elements on. to make the naans in the microwave oven in convection mode, please read the notes in the recipe details. bake for 7-10 minutes till brown spots seen on the top and the naan puffs up well.
10. if you like then you can brush some butter on the naans.