Matar mushroom recipe with step by step photos. This is a semi-dry delicious vegetable dish made with green peas, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices. It makes for a delicious and healthy meal when served with a side of chapati or naan. Vegan and gluten-free.
I have already posted the recipes of South Indian mushroom peas curry. This recipe is more North Indian style and also home style. Usually I make matar mushroom this way.
You can replace mushroom with paneer or cottage cheese. Mushroom and paneer go well with most veggies and are often used to make rich curry dishes for vegetarians. In many recipes you can easily replace mushroom with paneer and vice versa. This is one such recipe.
If adding paneer, then just add them towards the end, once the peas are cooked and then switch off the heat.
You can have this matar mushroom with rotis, parathas, naan or as a side dish with dal tadka – rice or dal fry – rice combo.
How to make Matar Mushroom
1. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan or kadai. You can use any neutral-flavored oil.
Add finely chopped 1 medium-sized onion and saute the onions stirring often till translucent.
2. Then add 1.5 teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a few seconds or till the raw aroma disappears.
3. Add 3 medium-sized finely chopped tomatoes and 1 chopped green chili. Stir.
4. Then add the following spice powders:
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- (¼ or ½) teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
5. Stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
6. Add 200 grams of chopped mushrooms and (⅔ or ¾) cup of green peas.
7. Stir to mix. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Then add 2 cups of water and salt as required. Cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened.
Please check point no 7-9 and notes section in the recipe card below for more info on the quality of peas and the amount of water to be added.
9. Once done, sprinkle (¼ or ½) teaspoon garam masala powder.
10. stir and Serve matar mushroom ki sabji hot or warm with rotis, naan, parathas or chapatis.
More tasty Mushroom recipes
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- 2/3 or ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas *check notes
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon Garam Masala or punjabi garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste or crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 cups water or as required. reduce the amount of water to 1 cup if using tender or frozen peas * check notes
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. Saute till the raw aroma disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- Stir and then add the spice powders – turmeric, red chilli, coriander powder.
- Stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and peas.
- Stir and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Then add water and salt. Add water as required. If using tender or frozen peas, then reduce the water to 1 cup. If using peas which are not tender or old, then add 2 cups of water or as required.
- In case there is too much water even after the peas or mushrooms are cooked, then reduce the water by simmering the matar mushroom curry without a lid for some more minutes till you get the desired consistency.
- In case the water become less, then add some more water. The consistency is a semi dry gravy or curry. So before the gravy reaches this consistency, the peas and mushrooms should be cooked well. So add water or reduce the water from the matar mushroom gravy accordingly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened.
- Once done, sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Stir and serve matar mushroom hot with rotis, naan or chapatis.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Matar Mushroom post from the blog archives first published in June 2014 has been updated and republished on December 2022.
Comments are closed.
You are my go to for all recipes, love your technique behind cooking. I have learnt a lot from you .Thank you so much God bless!
Thanks a lot for your lovely comment and best wishes. Most welcome!
Yummy recipe! Always a hit at my home.
Made this recipe last night, it was yummy. I finally added coconut (grated and grinded) to the gravy. I made it as curry for rice and dosa. It was very delicious. Thank you for the wonderful recipe
thank you sasi. coconut will give a good taste and flavor. matar mushroom goes very well with dosa and rice. welcome and happy cooking.