Spanish fried rice recipe with step by step photos. This easy to make delicious spanish fried rice is one of our favorite recipe. It is simple like the Portuguese tomato rice, but more flavorful and little spicy, and the method of cooking the rice is also different. A vegan recipe.
This flavorful and spicy spanish rice is also known as Arroz Mexicana. By the way, its really Mexican rice but known as spanish rice. in mexico it is served as a side dish with other Mexican dishes.
I don’t know much about Mexican food, other than tortillas, burittos, guacamole (my favorite) and the Mexican bean recipes.
Spanish rice Is made by browning the rice with onions, garlic then cooked with capsicum, chopped tomatoes/tomato puree/tomato paste plus vegetable broth. if using tomato puree, then reduce the amount of vegetable broth to 3 cups.
The recipe is good, tasty and a must-try. spanish fried rice goes well with green salad or onion tomato salad.
How to make spanish fried rice
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan.
3. Add 1 medium-sized finely chopped onion.
4. Fry them for a minute.
5. Rinse 1 cup rice very well in water. Then add the rinsed rice to the onions.
6. Stir well.
7. Saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
8. Then add 2 to 3 medium-sized chopped tomatoes, 2 to 3 chopped garlic, 1 medium-sized chopped green bell pepper (capsicum) and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
9. Stir and mix very well.
10. Continue sauteing for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Next add 2 to 2.25 cups water or vegetable stock or add as required.
12. Mix well.
13. Lastly add ¼ teaspoon black pepper and salt as required. Instead of black pepper powder you can add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder.
Cooking spanish fried rice
14. Stir very well. Cover the pan and cook the rice on a low flame till done.
15. In between, keep checking the rice after 6 to 7 minutes intervals. If required then you can add some more water.
16. Cook the rice till its done.
17. Serve the Spanish rice hot with a green salad or onion tomato salad.
More fried rice varieties
spanish fried rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped or 2 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 to 3 garlic - chopped
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum - chopped (green bell pepper)
- 1 or 2 green chilis - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 2.25 cups water or vegetable stock or as required
- salt as required
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and fry them for a minute.
- Add the rice to the onions.
- Saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers and green chilies and continue sauteing for some 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the water or vegetable stock. Also add salt and black pepper powder.
- Stir very well. Cover the pan and cook the rice on a low flame till done.
- In between, keep checking the rice after 6 to 7 minutes intervals. If required then you can add some more water.
- Cook the rice till its done.
- Serve the spanish rice hot with green salad or onion tomato salad.