Dhaba style dal fry with step by step photos – We love the dal they serve at dhabas. dhabas are hotels or restaurants alongside roads and highways.
This recipe of dal is inspired from the dals served at Punjabi dhabas. but I have made the dal more healthy by using 5 different dals or lentils.
In the dhaba, they use chana dal, arhar dal and urad dal. I have also added moong dal and masoor dal. This dhaba dal also uses less oil as compared to the dhaba ones.
At times, I also give dhungar to this dal. If you want to give dhungar to this dhaba dal then you can check the method in this restaurant-style Dal tadka.
Its best to serve this dhaba dal with tandoori rotis. Though even with plain steamed rice, jeera rice, peas pulao it goes well. You can also serve it with naan, parathas or phulkas.
How to make dhaba dal
A) cooking lentils
1. Pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. If you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
2. Add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder.
3. also add 2 cups water.
4. Pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals. the lentils should be cooked very well and softened. Depending on the quality of lentils, they may take less or more time to cook. lightly mash the dal and keep aside. If you soak the lentils, then it will take less time to pressure cook. The lentils can also be cooked in a pot. Just add 2 to 2.5 cups water and cook them covered in a deep and thick bottomed pot or pan. Though cooking in a pot and pan will take more time.
Making dhaba dal
1. In a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee. add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
2. then add the chopped onions.
3. On a low to medium flame, stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
4. Then add 1 teaspoon crushed ginger, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chilies & 2 to 3 dry red chilies.
5. mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
6. Add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and stir.
7. Now add the chopped tomatoes.
8. Mix well and begin to saute the tomatoes on a low to medium flame.
9. Stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
10. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
11. Mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
12. Add the cooked dal.
13. mix well.
14. Add ½ to ⅔ cup water or as required. For a thicker consistency add less water.
15. stir and mix very well.
15. Season with salt and mix again.
16. Simmer the dal on a low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens a bit. Keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
17. When the dhaba style dal is done, switch off the flame. Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Reserve the remaining 1 tablespoon coriander leaves for garnish.
18. Garnish with some coriander leaves and Serve the dhaba dal hot with rotis or parathas. You can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal.
More dal recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Healthy Dhaba Dal (made with 5 lentils)
for cooking dal (lentils)
- 2 tablespoons chana dal husked & split bengal gram
- 2 tablespoons tuvar dal husked & split pigeon pea lentils
- 2 tablespoons urad dal split urad dal with their husks (chilkewali urad dal)
- 2 tablespoons moong dal split mung lentils with husks (chilkewali moong dal)
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal (pink lentils)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking
other ingredients for dhaba dal
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 55 grams onion or 1 medium onion or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 4 grams ginger or ½ inch ginger or 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 4 grams garlic or 6 to 7 small garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed
- 115 grams tomatoes or 1 large tomato, chopped or ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or indian bay leaf
- Pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. If you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
- Add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder. Also add 2 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals.
- The lentils should be cooked very well and softened.
- Lightly mash and keep aside.
making dhaba style dal
- In a kadai or pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee.
- Add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
- Then add the chopped onions.
- Stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
- Then add 1 tsp crushed ginger, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chilies and 2 to 3 dry red chilies. Mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger & garlic goes away.
- Add crushed kasuri methi and stir.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes. Stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
- Then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add water and stir very well.
- Season with salt and mix again.
- Simmer the dhaba dal on a low flame till the dal thickens a bit.
- Keep on stirring at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the dal is done, switch off the flame. Add chopped coriander leaves. Reserve some coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and Serve the dhaba style dal hot with rotis or parathas. You can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.