Carrot chutney recipe with step by step photos – quick and tasty chutney made with carrots, coconut, herbs and spices. A vegan recipe.
Whenever I prepare idlis or dosa, at times I make a veggie chutney with them if I am not making sambar. Simply because its healthy and the veggie based chutney along with the idli and dosa does make up for a complete meal.
In South Indian cuisine chutneys are made with many veggies like capsicum, cabbage, beetroot, sweet potato and various gourds etc. Its a good way to use these left over veggies at home. Sometimes you don’t know what to do with a beetroot or carrot. Make a salad or chutney with them and have them with your meals. Healthy as well as delicious.
This recipe of carrot chutney has coconut also added and tastes very good with soft dosas like poha dosa, neer dosa, benne dosa, idlis, adai and even medu vada. You can also serve with dal vada or masala vada.
You can store the left over carrot chutney in the refrigerator and it stays good for few days.
How to make carrot chutney
1. First peel and rinse 1 large Delhi carrot (150 grams) and then chop it. You will need 1 cup chopped carrots.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
3. Saute till both the dals turn golden.
4. Then add 1 green chili (chopped), 4 to 5 curry leaves (chopped) and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing). Mix very well.
5. Then add 1 cup of chopped carrots.
6. Mix again.
7. Then add salt.
8. on a low to medium-low saute the carrots stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes.
9. Then add ⅓ cup grated coconut.
10. Mix very well and saute for a minute.
Grinding carrot chutney
11. Let the mixture become warm and then add it in a grinder jar along with ⅓ to ½ cup water.
12. Grind till smooth.
13. Remove the carrot chutney in a bowl. Scrape of the sides and bottom of the grinder jar and add the remaining chutney in the same bowl. If you want, you can even add some water and then swirl the jar. This way the carrot chutney at the bottom and sides of the jar gets mixed with the water. But do note that not to add too much water as then the carrot chutney will become thin.
Tempering for carrot chutney
14. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
15. let them crackle.
16. once the mustard seeds crackle, add 4 to 5 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida. Mix and stir.
17. pour all of the tempering in the chutney. Mix well.
18. Serve carrot chutney with idli, dosa, adai dosa or vada.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 150 grams carrots or 1 cup chopped carrots (gajar)
- 1 teaspoon oil [can use sesame oil (gingelly oil), peanut oil or sunflower oil]
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (husked and split bengal gram)
- 1 green chili
- 4 to 5 curry leaves - chopped
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ⅓ cup grated coconut
- ⅓ to ½ cup water
- salt as required
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
making carrot chutney
- First peel and rinse 1 large delhi carrot (150 grams) and then chop it. You will need 1 cup chopped carrots.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
- Saute till both the dals turn golden.
- Then add 1 green chili (chopped), 4 to 5 curry leaves (chopped) and 1 pinch of asafoetida. Mix very well.
- Then add 1 cup of chopped carrots. mix again.
- Then add salt and on a low to medium-low saute the carrots stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add ⅓ cup grated coconut.
- Mix very well and saute for a minute.
- Let the mixture become warm and then add it in a grinder jar along with ⅓ to ½ cup water.
- Grind till smooth.
- Remove the carrot chutney in a bowl.
tempering for carrot chutney
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan.
- Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Once the mustard seeds crackle, add 4 to 5 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida. Mix and stir.
- Pour all of the tempering in the chutney. Mix well.
- Serve carrot chutney with idli, dosa, adai or vadai.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later