paneer capsicum recipe with step by step photos – this is one of my favorite curry recipe which has cottage cheese and green bell pepper (shimla mirch).
this paneer capsicum masala is a rich and delicious gravy made with cream and fried cashew nuts. addition of cream gives a good flavor to this recipe and overall it is a rich creamy recipe which you will enjoy with parathas or rotis.
the paneer capsicum gravy recipe is easy to prepare. first frying the cashews and green chilies. then sauting the onion-tomato masala, cooking the bell peppers and then adding the paneer and lastly finishing off with some cream. apart from recipe, i make few more capsicum recipes like:
tips for making paneer capsicun gravy
- for onions or tomatoes to cook faster, add a little salt.
- its better not to fry the paneer as sometimes the process of frying makes them dense.
- ideally paneer should be added to any recipe just a couple of minutes, before you turn off the flame. if you add them at the beginning of the recipe, they will become dense and rubbery.
- if you are calorie conscious, you can skip frying the cashew nuts and green chilies. instead add them when you add the capsicum.
- i will not suggest skipping the cream as it gives a wonderful taste to this recipe. however, you can reduce the amount of cream.
its always better to make paneer at home than to buy it from outside. i usually make paneer at home. home made paneer is more hygienic as well as cheaper.
the paneer capsicum gravy goes best with rotis, parathas or even a simple jeera rice.
if you are looking for more paneer recipes then do check:
paneer capsicum recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR paneer capsicum recipe
- 150 to 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - cubed
- 1 medium to large capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch) - diced or cubed
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped OR about 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 medium to large tomatoes - finely chopped OR about 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste) OR 2 to 3 garlic + 1/2 inch ginger crushed to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle
- 5 tablespoon fresh full fat curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 4 to 5 tablespoon low fat cream (25 to 35% low fat)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 10 to 12 cashews (kaju)
- 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder OR 1/2 tsp of any other variety of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing, optional
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE paneer capsicum recipe
preparation for paneer capsicum recipe
- heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. fry the cashew nuts till golden in oil.
- remove them and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- then fry the the slit green chillies in the same oil. remove and drain them too.
making paneer capsicum
- now in the same oil, add the onions. saute the onions till translucent or light brown.
- add the ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic paste goes away.
- now add the tomatoes. saute tomatoes till the oil leaves the sides.
- add all the dry spice powders. then add yogurt. stir well.
- add thinly sliced capsicum. add water and salt.
- cook the capsicum till they are tender. this will take some minutes.
- when you see oil floating on the top of the gravy, its time to add paneer. stir and mix well.
- add cream and stir well.
- next add the fried cashews, fried green chilies and kasuri methi.
- stir the paneer capsicum gravy and switch off the flame.
- serve paneer capsicum gravy hot garnished with coriander leaves, with rotis, parathas or rice.
preparation to make paneer capsicum recipe
1. heat 3 tablespoons oil in a pan or kadai. fry 10-12 cashew nuts till golden in oil. remove them and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
2. then fry 2 slit green chilies in the same oil.
3. remove and drain green chilies on paper towels to remove excess oil. place them aside.
making capsicum paneer
4. now in the same oil, add 1 medium sized finely chopped onion. saute the onions till translucent or light brown.
5. add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun paste). saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic paste goes away.
6. now add 2 medium to large size tomatoes which has been finely chopped. then saute tomatoes till the oil leaves the sides.
7. add 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder) and 1 teaspoon garam masala powder. stir and mix well.
8. then add 5 tablespoon fresh full fat curd (dahi or yogurt). stir well.
9. add 1 medium to large size capsicum (simla mirch) which has been thinly sliced.
10. add 1 cup water and salt as required.
11. cook the capsicum till they are tender. this will take few minutes.
12. when you see oil floating on the top of the curry, its time to add 150 to 200 grams chopped paneer (cottage cheese).
13. stir and mix well.
14. add 4 to 5 tablespoons low fat cream. mix the paneer capsicum gravy well.
15. next add the fried cashews, fried green chilies and ½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves). stir the capsicum paneer gravy and switch off the flame.
16. serve the paneer capsicum gravy hot garnished with few chopped coriander leaves, with rotis, parathas or tandoori rotis or steamed rice or jeera rice.