So here comes a spicy, hot green veg curry from Thailand. It is veg to the core with no shrimp paste or fish sauce added to the curry.
To keep the authenticity of the recipe, I have used all the Thai ingredients that are used in Thai recipes, except for fish sauce and shrimp paste.
I have also made the green curry paste at home from scratch. I have never used any ready paste for any curry, so I cannot comment on how it would taste using the ready made Thai green curry paste.
The recipe turned out so good……… I cannot tell you how much good…. it was awesome…. so much so…. that I have decided to make Thai curries regularly. I have always like Thai food and this recipe is for keeps.
I have again adapted the recipe from Dr Benkim’s website. Dr Benkim’s site has some nice healthy vegetarian and vegan recipes and they are so easy. I also made an adapted version of vegan chocolate banana smoothie from this site and it was so good.
This thai green curry was spicy, hot and yummy…. but it had an olive green color instead of fresh green color. That was because, I used dark soy sauce while making the green curry paste.
I served the Thai Veg Green Curry with lemon grass rice. The combination was good. This post was lying in the drafts from a long time and lately I also made the Thai Veg Red Curry. Even, this turned out so well.
Thai Veg Green Curry Recipe: Serves 3-4
Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 20-25 mins
For the curry:
- 3-4 small carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 10-12 cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 medium size capsicum, diced
- 1 cup thick coconut milk ( I used readymade coconut milk)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt
For the green curry paste:
- 3 thai chillies ( I used 2 thai chilies and 1 green chilli)
- 1/2 inch galangal
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemon grass stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- zest from ½ lemon (grated rind of ½ lemon)
To make the Thai Green Curry Paste:
- As mentioned in my previous post of Thai Basil Vegetable Stir fry with Tofu, I get the thai kit in a shop near my place. This is how it looks like. It has very generous quantities of galangal ( I don’t know why…. ), 2 thai chillies, 7-9 kaffir lime leaves, 2 lemon grass stems and a few lemon grass.
- Chop all the fresh ingredients for the green curry paste.
- Take all the fresh ingredients to be ground for the green curry paste in the grinder. Add the dry spices…. namely coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns. Also add the lemon rind. Grind this mixture.
- If the mixture is too dry and not getting ground, then add the soy sauce and grind it. You could also grind it with some coconut milk instead of soy sauce.
- I won’t recommend grinding the paste in a mortar and pestle as its much of hard work …. at least for someone like me Grind to a little coarse paste. This curry paste is enough for thai curry recipe mentioned in this post. The below curry paste looks more like brown curry paste instead of green curry paste. Wait till the coconut milk dissolves into it and then see the magic.
To make the thai green curry:
- Chop all the veggies.
- Steam or boil all the vegetables except capsicum. Drain the steamed vegetables and keep the broth. Don’t overcook or over steam the veggies.
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil. Add the green curry paste and capsicum. Fry the paste and capsicum for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 of the coconut milk and mix it with the rest of the paste. Oh….. no magic…. no green color….. that’s because I have used camera flash for taking the photo. This recipe was made in the night.
- Add the vegetable broth and again mix everything….. Slight green color!!!!!
- Now add the mix cooked vegetables and salt…… more green color!!!!!
- Bring the entire curry to boil and then simmer for 12-15 minutes…. again brown…. thats coz of flash photography… you can see what flash does to the image….
- Add the remaining coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish the thai veg green curry with chopped kaffir lime leaves and thai basil leaves…. yes green now and no flash photography….
- Serve the thai green curry with warm lemon grass rice.
Tips for thai veg curry recipe:
1: It is best to have the thai herbs and spices for this green curry. But if you do not have this, you could still substitute the thai ingredients with the commonly used ingredients from the indian kitchen.
- Galangal: Use Ginger instead
- Kaffir Lime Leaves: Add zest of Lemon instead
- Thai Chillies: Substitute Green Chillies
- Shallots: Use small Onions instead
- For Lemon Grass……. I do not think there is any substitute. At the most, you could just do away with the zest of lemon.
2: You could also grind some coriander roots while making the green curry paste.
3: Choose your own choice of vegetables. I have boiled the vegetables first, since I wanted the veggies to be completely cooked… as I was using cauliflower and potatoes… plus I do not like half raw-half cooked vegetables. However, if you use vegetables like carrots, beans, mushrooms etc… you could just add them directly to the curry. You could also add tofu.
4: Instead of dark soy sauce, you can use regular soy sauce.
5: You can always adjust the consistency of the curry. I prefer slightly thin curries, so I added a bit of more broth. If you do not have vegetable broth, you could add water instead. For a slightly thicker consistency, you could add some more quantity of coconut milk.
6: This thai veg curry is spicy…. but if you like very spicy and hot food… you can increase the spiciness and hotness by adding a few more chilies.
Thai Veg Green Curry recipe details are below: