sweet punjabi lassi recipe – lassi is another cooling and refreshing drink to have in the summers. sweet lassi is quite popular in punjab and north india.
this sweet punjabi lassi which i make at home is not heavy and very light. now why i am calling this a sweet lassi. aren’t lassis always sweet?….
the answer is no….. there are salty lassis too and i know some of my friends who just love salted lassi.
the hubby who has studied in punjab says that in punjab, lassis are served in huge glasses. on top of the glasses they add 2-3 tbsp of white butter/makhan. and mind you the lassis are very thick.
a spoon is also served with the punjabi lassi, so that first you have the soft and buttery white butter and then you drink the lassi. this lassi is soooooo heavy that you cannot have any meal or food afterwards. some people also like to have lassi with parathas or with samosa chole chaat.
at my mother in law house, lassi is often made during summers using hand blender (called as madhani, in punjabi) and is served with few ice cubes added to it. its specially relished in hot summers because of its cooling properties. few other variations of making lassi are masala lassi, mango lassi and papaya lassi.
for flavoring the lassi, add cardamom powder or rose water. garnish lassi with cardamom powder and some sliced almonds while serving. adding saffron to the lassi is optional.
i have not added any cream or makhan. also i have added water to the curd while blending it. you have the option to add milk or water.
sweet punjabi lassi recipe below:
- 1.5 cups yogurt/curd, chilled
- 7-8 tsp sugar or as required
- ½ cup water or cold milk
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 6-7 almonds or shelled pistachois, chopped or sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- ice cubes while serving the lassi
- take the yogurt, cardamom powder, water and sugar in a blender.
- you can also blend with a hand blender or use the traditional madani.
- blend till the yogurt is evenly blended.
- don't over do as then you will get butter floating on top.
- serve lassi in tall glasses.
- add crushed ice cubes, garnish lassi with some cardamom powder and sliced almonds.
- serve the sweet lassi.
- you can also chill lassi and then serve.