Eggs can be had boiled, fried, baked and even in curried form. This recipe has boiled eggs in a spicy masala gravy. I usually make this egg tomato curry recipe at home and my hubby likes it. This recipe has a nice tangy taste of tomatoes coupled with the flavors and taste of the spices that are used.
Ingredients for the Spicy Egg Masala Tomato Curry:
- 5-6 Hard boiled Eggs
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder – optional
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
For the Masala Paste:
- 2 red chilies
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 1 tsp coriander seeds or sabut dhania
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 big cardamoms or badi elaichi
- 2 small cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf – optional
- 5-6 pepper corns
- 1 0r 2 chopped onions
- 3 chopped medium size tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic
- 1 inch peice of ginger
Method to make the masala paste:
- In a shallow frying pan, add a little oil about 1-2 teaspoon.
- Now add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the coriander seeds, fennel seeds and all the whole spices. Keep the flame on a low and fry the whole spices and the red chillies till a subtle aroma comes from them. Make sure you don’t burn them.
- Remove the spices. Now in the same pan, add the onions and fry them till they are browned. You could add a little more oil at this stage to ensure that the onions get browned evenly.
- Once they are browned, add the tomatoes, ginger and garlic to the onions. Fry for a 1-2 mins and then remove these from the pan
- In a food grinder, grind all the fried whole spices with the onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
For the curry:
- You will need 5-6 hard boiled eggs. If you really want to make good hard boiled eggs, you can check this article of mine, where I have mentioned some tips and tricks to get the perfect hardboiled eggs: How to make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
- Slit the eggs vertically into two from the top.
- In a pan, now add some oil. Add the masala paste and fry it till the oil starts to leave the masala. Add tumeric, chilli and garam masala powders. Fry for a minute.
- Now add some water and mix the masala well with the water. Add salt. Add the hard boiled eggs and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Garnish the egg curry with cilantro.
- Serve Egg Tomato Curry with cooked rice or jeera rice.