vegetable curry recipe with step by step photos – here’s a dish which i have grown up having. this famous goan vegetable curry used to be made twice or thrice a week at my home. sometimes with fish and sometimes with prawns. when making with prawns, okra/bhindi was added.
after becoming a vegetarian, i started making the same curry with mix vegetables and mushrooms. i love the flavors of the coconut based masala in this veg curry. till today this goan curry is one of my favorite curry to go with steamed rice. another similar recipe on the blog is this tomato curry.
though a mixed vegetable goan curry, like this recipe, was not made at our home. but a similar vegetarian curry was made without any veggies in it. we would call it as ‘sorak’ in konkani language. sorak is just a plain curry but the flavors of the coconut, red chilies and spices come through in this curry too. in sorak we don’t add tamarind, but kokum (garcinia indica).
the vegetable curry is not hot nor spicy. though the heat levels can be increased by using more red chilies.
the color of the vegetable curry can vary from a range of light orange to dark orange to a bright red color. this color variation depends on the color pigment intensity of the dry red chilies.
we always add kashmiri red chilies in this veg curry. in the absence of kashmiri chilies, even byadagi/bedgi red chilies work well. they give a nice bright color to the curry, without making it hot. i would suggest you to add chilies which are less hot or medium hot.
goan vegetable curry goes well with steamed rice. the curry also tastes good with bread or pav/buns.
if you are looking for more curry recipes then do check:
vegetable curry recipe below:
vegetable curry recipe | veg curry recipe
goan vegetable curry recipe - lightly spiced vegetable curry with flavors of coconut and spices, from the land of goa.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the masala paste:
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (lahsun)
- 5 to 6 kashmiri red chilies or byadagi or bedgi red chilies
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8 to 10 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch) - optional
- 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind (imli)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ cup water or as required for grinding
for vegetable curry:
- 2.5 to 3 cups chopped mix vegetables (9 to 10 baby corn, 1 medium carrot, 9 to 10 button mushrooms, 9 to 10 french beans, 1 medium potato OR you can add your choice of veggies)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or as required
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- salt as required
how to make recipe
making masala paste for vegetable curry:
grind all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'for masala paste' in a wet grinder to a smooth paste.
there should be no small chunks or pieces of coconut in the paste. keep the paste aside.
making vegetable curry:
- rinse and chop the veggies into cubes or small bite sized pieces.
- don't chop into bigger pieces as they will take a lot of time to cook.
- heat oil. add onions and saute till they become translucent.
- add the chopped veggies and and saute them for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame, stirring often.
- add the coconut masala paste to the sauteed veggies and stir.
- then add water, salt and slit green chilies. stir again.
cover and simmer the vegetable curry, till the veggies are cooked tender. stir the curry at intervals.
can take about 20 to 30 minutes for all the veggies to cook on a low to medium flame. if you want, you can steam or cook the veggies before hand and then add them to the curry.
if the water becomes less while cooking, then add some more water. the consistency of this vegetable curry is neither thick nor thin.
garnish with coriander leaves and serve vegetable curry with steamed rice.
how to make vegetable curry recipe:
1. heat 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil. add ¼ cup finely chopped onions and saute onions till translucent.
2. add 2.5 to 3 cups chopped mix vegetables and saute them for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame, stirring often.
3. the ingredients for making the masala paste – 1 cup grated fresh coconut, 2 tsp coriander seeds, ¼ cup chopped onion, 5 to 6 kashmiri dry red chilies. not pictured are 3 to 4 chopped garlic cloves, 1 tsp cumin, 8 to 10 black pepper (optional) and 1 tsp seedless tamarind. they are all covered by the mound of grated coconut 🙂
4. add everything to the grinder. also add ½ tsp turmeric powder. then add ¾ cup water or as required for grinding and grind to a smooth paste. no small chunks or pieces of coconut should be in the paste.
5. add the coconut masala paste to the sauteed veggies and stir.
6. then add 2.5 to 3 cups water or as required, salt and 1-2 slit green chilies. stir again.
7. cover and simmer vegetable curry, till the veggies are cooked tender. stir the curry at intervals. can take about 20 to 30 minutes for all the veggies to cook on a low to medium flame. if you want, you can steam or cook the veggies before hand and then add them to the vegetable curry. if the water becomes less while cooking, then add some more water. the consistency of this vegetable curry is neither thick nor thin.
8. garnish with coriander leaves and serve vegetable curry with steamed rice or ladi pav.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe