rava ladoo recipe with step by step photos – easy, quick and tasty recipe of rava ladoo for diwali. the recipe is so quick, that it just took me about twenty minutes to cook the rava ladoo mixture.
the rava ladoo recipe is very easy and does not go into the consistency of sugar syrup. i had made rava ladoos before using the one string consistency and the ladoos would either break or harden.
this rava ladoo recipe gives a softer texture in the ladoos. i did add less ghee, but you can increase the amount of ghee. you will need khoya/mawa and desiccated coconut to make these ladoos. in absence of khoya, you can use condensed milk. if using sweetened condensed milk, then no need to add sugar. the coconut can also be skipped, if you prefer. i have posted one more rava ladoo recipe with khoya which taste different but is also an easy and quick recipe.
rava ladoo recipe below:
rava ladoo recipe - quick and easy recipe of rava ladoo made with semolina, khoya (evaporated milk solids) and desiccated coconut. gets done in 20 minutes.
- 1 cup sooji (rava or semolina) OR 200 grams rava
- ½ cup khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids) OR 100 grams khoya OR ½ cup condensed milk
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 11 to 12 tablespoon milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoon ghee (i added 1 tablespoon ghee - but for a smooth looking ladoo, you can add 2 to 2.5 tablespoon ghee)
- ½ cup sugar or add as per taste
- 10 to 12 cashews, chopped (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
- 5 green cardamoms - crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle or coffee grinder OR ½ to ⅔ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
heat ghee in a pan. add rava and chopped cashews.
stir often and roast the rava on a low flame till the rava becomes fragrant and change its color. no need to brown the rava. the texture will also appear crumbly, loose and light. the cashews will also become slight golden. if you add more ghee, you will see ghee leaving the sides. takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
add desiccated coconut. stir and roast for a minute or two.
add crumbled or grated khoya. mix the khoya with the rava.
then add sugar. now mix the sugar with the rava.
add cardamom powder and raisins. stir again.
add milk in parts and keep on stirring. mix very well.
once all the milk is absorbed and the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from fire.
grease your palms with ghee and form rava ladoos, while the mixture is still hot and you can handle the heat.
make all rava ladoos this way and store them in an air-tight jar or box.
serve rava ladoos plain or with a glass of milk.
how to substitute khoya in this rava ladoo recipe:
- instead of khoya you can add condensed milk. add condensed milk at the same stage when khoya is added.
- but with condensed milk, you will have to cook more so that the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan.
- don’t add sugar if adding sweetened condensed milk as there is already enough sugar in it.
lets start step by step rava ladoo recipe:
1. heat 1 to 2 tbsp ghee in a pan. (i added 1 tbsp ghee, but for a smooth looking rava ladoo, you can add 2 to 2.5 tbsp ghee)
2. add 1 cup rava (sooji or semolina) and 10 to 12 chopped cashews. use the fine variety of rava.
3. stir often and roast the rava on a low flame till the rava become fragrant and changes its color. no need to brown the rava. the texture will also appear crumbly, loose and light. the cashews will also become slight golden. if you add more ghee, you will see ghee leaving the sides. takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
4. then add ¼ cup desiccated coconut. stir and roast for about one to two minutes on a low flame.
5. add ½ cup crumbled or grated khoya (mawa). mix the khoya with the rava. the variety of khoya, i added was homemade khoya and thus soft. hence does not require grating. if using hard variety, then grate the khoya.
note: khoya is necessary in this recipe. instead of khoya you can add condensed milk. check ‘notes section’ of recipe card above.
6. then add ½ cup sugar or add as per your taste.
7. now mix the sugar with the rava.
8. add cardamom powder (5 cardamoms crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle or coffee grinder or ½ to ⅔ tsp cardamom powder). also add 1 tbsp golden raisins. stir again.
9. add 11 to 12 tbsp milk in parts and keep on stirring. mix very well.
10. once all the milk is absorbed and the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from fire. depending on the quality or texture of rava, more or less amount of milk can be added, to get the consistency as shown in the pic below.
11. grease your palms with ghee and form rava ladoos, while the ladoo mixture is still hot and you can handle the heat. if you are unable to make rava ladoos and the mixture looks lumpy or hard, then add some tablespoons of warm milk to soften. if the mixture is too sticky, then add a few teaspoons of ghee and mix well.
12. make all rava ladoos this way and store them in an air-tight jar or box.
serve rava ladoos plain or with a glass of milk.