besan bhindi recipe with step by step photos – a dry, aromatic, tangy and spiced okra curry from the rajasthani cuisine.
being a rajasthani recipe, along with the spices besan or gram flour is also used. the original recipe calls for frying the okra. to cut down on the fat, i have sauted the okra. the frying or sauting okra before you prepare the curry reduces the sliminess in the okra.
gram flour is roasted and later spices are added in the dish. there is also no other veggie like onions, tomatoes etc added. so there is less chopping work and the recipe is very easy.
this is also a no onion no garlic recipe. the end result is a crisp, spiced and masala coated bhindi which goes very well with chapatis or phulkas. this rajasthani besan bhindi can also be served as a side dish along with dal-rice.
this besan bhindi recipe has been adapted from the jiggs kalra’s classic cooking of rajasthan (Flipkart | Amazon). this cookbook is a must if you are fond of rajasthani cuisine. i have just tried a few recipes from this book and they all were winners. the book has both vegetarian and non vegetarian recipes. also included are some royal rajasthani recipes as well as a few famous ones.
rajasthani besan bhindi masala recipe below:
besan bhindi masala recipe - a spiced dry okra curry made with roasted gram flour.
- 200 to 250 grams small sized bhindi (okra or lady finger)
- 4 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon water (optional)
- 3 tablespoon oil for sauting the bhindi
- ½ tablespoon ghee for frying the besan
- salt as required
- ½ inch ginger julienned or cut into thin strips
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)- optional
in a small bowl, mix together the ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water.
keep this pickled ginger aside for a minimum of 40 mins to 1 hour or maximum of 3 hours.
rinse and pat dry the okra (bhindi). slice off the crown and the tip of the bhindi.
then make two or three slits on each bhindi, without breaking them.
heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. add the bhindi. saute them till they are crisp and browned.
drain the bhindi on paper towels to remove excess oil.
in the same pan, add 1/2 tbsp ghee.
add the besan/gram flour and fry the besan till it changes color and becomes aromatic. keep on stirring while frying the besan so that it does not get burnt.
you should see the fat releasing from the besan.
add the bhindi to the besan. stir.
then add all the spice powders (coriander, dry mango powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder).
stir well and sprinkle salt and 1/2 tbsp water. adding water is optional and you can also skip this step.
stir and saute, until the roasted gram flour and spice mixture coats the bhindi well.
lastly, add garam masala and give a stir.
while serving, garnish besan bhindi with the julienned ginger from the sugar syrup along with coriander leaves.
serve besan bhindi masala hot with roti or chappati or as a side dish with dal rice or curry rice.
step by step rajasthani besan bhindi masala recipe:
1. mix ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water in a small bowl and keep aside for at least 3 hours maximum or 40 mins to 1 hour minimum. this solution of lemon juice and sugar makes the ginger pinkish in color. for some reason unknown to me, the ginger did not get a pink hue.
2. rinse and pat dry the bhindi/okra. make two or three slits on each okra without cutting it completely.
3. heat oil in a frying pan and saute the okra till they are crisp and browned. you can also saute the okra in batches.
4. drain on paper towels.
5. heat ghee in a pan and saute the besan/gram flour stirring often. the besan has to change color and become aromatic. this is an important step. if you don’t roast the besan well, there will be a raw taste in the final dish. you should be able to see the fat leaving the besan once its roasted well.
6. add the sauted okra. stir well and you will see the consistency of the besan changes. it becomes more smooth.
7. add all the spice powders – coriander, dry mango, red chili and turmeric powder
8. stir and then add little water along with salt.
9. stir and saute till the besan and the spice mixture has coated the bhindi well.
10. lastly sprinkle garam masala. give a final stir.
11. garnish besan bhindi with the ginger juliennes from the lemon syrup mixture and coriander leaves. serve the rajasthani besan bhindi with chapatis or phulkas or as side dish with dal-chawal (dal & rice combo) or kadi-chawal (spiced yogurt sauce & rice combo).