bharwa bhindi recipe with step by step photos – delicious and flavorful punjabi recipe of bhindi stuffed with spice powders. in hindi bharwan means stuffed and bhindi means okra. so in english the recipe translates to stuffed okra…. easy?
this is a no onion-garlic recipe. it is just the spices, okra, salt and oil. thats it….. an easy bhindi recipe. but remember, rinsing, drying and then stuffing the bhindi (okra) does take time.
the spices i use for the bharwa bhindi are the similar with the bhindi do pyaaza that i make. adding dry mango powder (amchur powder) makes the okra tangy and sour.
also this is not a spicy bharwa bhindi as i have used red chili powder in moderation. plus the other spice powders like coriander, cumin and turmeric also contribute their flavors and tastes.
there is also no garam masala powder added here. but if you want a little more spiced and aromatic bharwa bhindi, you can add a little garam masala powder.
bharwa bhindi makes for an excellent side veggie dish with rotis and dal. this stuffed bhindi can also be served as starters. at home i make this with rotis and curd or dal-rice.
summers are here and i most of the times go for light veggie dishes and yogurt curries or thin dals. this is one such light dish.
if you are looking for more bhindi recipes then do check:
- bhindi bhaji
- kurkuri bhindi
- bhindi masala recipe
- bharli bhendi recipe (maharashtrian style stuffed bhindi recipe)
stuffed bhindi or bharwa bhindi recipe
bharwa bhindi recipe | stuffed bhindi recipe
bharwan bhindi recipe - delicious and flavorful punjabi recipe of bhindi stuffed with spice powders.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for bharwa bhindi
- 500 grams okra (bhindi)
- 3 tablespoons oil, add more oil if required
stuffing for bharwa bhindi
- 1 tablespoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- salt or black salt or rock salt, as required
how to make recipe
preparation for bharwa bhindi
- wash, wipe dry and trim the both the ends of the bhindi (okra).
- slit each bhindi vertically without breaking or cutting into two halves.
- combine all the spice powder ingredients in a bowl with salt. mix well.
- fill each bhindi with the spice mixture.
making bharwa bhindi
heat oil in a kadai or wok.
add the stuffed bhindi to the oil. gently stir. if any masala remains you can add it to the bhindi.
you don’t need to cover the kadai. let the bharwa bhindi cook on a low flame. we don’t want the masala to burn hence the bhindi needs to be cooked on a low flame.
remember to check the stuffed bhindi in between and also give a nice stir a few times.
once well cooked, serve bharwa bhindi hot with chapatis.
tips for making bharwa bhindi
- there should be no trace of water on the bhindi (okra). hence we dry them with a kitchen napkin. if there is water or water droplets then the bhindi become slimy. this bharwa bhindi dish is not at all slimy or gooey. it is dry dish with the okra succulently cooked absorbing all the flavors of the spices.
- use fresh spice powders and not outdated or stale ones. better to use home made spice powders.
- you can always add more salt or any spice powder later if you feel any of it is less.
- for a more tangy and sour taste increase the quantity of dry mango powder by ¼ to ½ tbsp or more.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make stuffed bhindi or bharwa bhindi
1: wash 500 gram whole bhindi (okra) in water, drain and then wipe them dry with a kitchen towel. keep aside.
2: take all the dry masala powders in a bowl – 1 tbsp dry mango powder, 2 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder). add salt and mix all the entire dry masala together. keep aside.
3: trim the head and the base of the bhindis. with a knife give a slit on the bhindi without breaking it in to two parts. the whole bhindi (okra) should be intact. stuff the masala in the bhindi one by one with a small spoon or with your hands
4: heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a kadai or wok. add the stuffed bhindi to the oil. gently stir. if any masala remains you can add it to the bhindi. you don’t need to cover the kadai. let the bharwa bhindi cook on a low flame. we don’t want the masala to burn hence the bhindi needs to be cooked on a low flame. ensure that you check the stuffed bhindi in between and also give a nice stir a few times.
5: once well cooked, serve the bharwa bhindi with rotis and yogurt or raita. bharwa bhindi also goes well with a combination of dal and rice. simple indian home food. you can garnish the bharwa bhindi with coriander leaves. i have shown the mint leaves only for photographic purpose.