rajasthani kadhi recipe with step by step photos – rajasthani kadhi is a very easy, delicious & quick kadhi recipe. the recipe does not take much time to make as no pakoras are added to it. another good thing is that you don’t need to chop any veggies like onions etc to make this rajasthani dahi kadhi.
kadhi is a spiced curd based sauce and is thickened with gram flour (besan). kadhis are naturally cooling as they are made with curd (yogurt) and is excellent during the summers and often made in north indian homes.
i make this version of rajasthani kadhi when i want to make something quick to go along with rice or rotis. there is another version of rajasthani kadhi in which pakoras or lentil fritters are added.
in punjabi kadhi recipe, also pakoras are added. addition of pakoras makes the dahi kadhi more filling and delicious but at the same time it requires more effort and time to prepare the dish.
if you want to make dahi kadhi without pakoras then you can try this rajasthani kadhi or maharashrian kadhi or the gujarati kadhi. the gujarati kadhi has sugar or jaggery added to it & thus has a light sweet taste. both rajasthani and gujarati kadhis are a no onion no garlic recipes.
rajasthani kadhi recipe below:
rajasthani kadhi recipe | dahi kadhi recipe
rajashthani kadhi recipe - spiced curd sauce that can be had plain or served with steamed basmati rice or cumin rice.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for kadhi mixture:
- 1 cup sour full fat curd (khatta dahi or yogurt)
- 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- salt as required
for tempering rajasthani kadhi:
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole or halved and seeds removed
how to make recipe
making rajasthani kadhi recipe:
mix the above mentioned kadhi ingredients including salt, till smooth in a pan. use a wired whisk to stir. no lumps should be there.
keep on a low flame and stirring at intervals simmer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes till the gram flour or besan gets cooked and the kadhi thickens a bit.
the consistency of the dahi kadhi is neither thick nor thin.
- keep aside covered.
tempering rajasthani kadhi:
- heat oil or ghee in a small pan.
- add the mustard seeds along with the bay leaf first.
- let the mustard seeds start popping & crackling.
- then add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- stir and add red chilies and asafoetida.
- fry for a few seconds till the red chilies darken a bit.
- switch off the flame.
- add the red chili powder and stir.
- immediately pour this tempering into the kadhi.
cover and let the tempering flavors infuse with the rajasthani kadhi.
after 5 to 6 mins, stir and serve rajasthani kadhi hot with phulkas, steamed rice or jeera rice.
to make the dahi kadhi gluten free, skip the asafoetida (hing).
how to make dahi kadhi or rajasthani kadhi recipe:
making rajasthani kadhi:
1. firstly in a pan take 1 cup sour curd. use full fat curd.
2. add 3 to 4 tablespoons besan (gram flour).
3. then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt as required.
4. add 2 cups water.
5. with a wired whisk or madani (wooden churner) mix everything well till smooth. there should be no lumps of besan.
6. now keep the pan on stove top.
7. keep the flame to a low or low-medium and begin to cook the dahi kadhi.
8. keep stirring at intervals.
9. and let the kadhi come to a boil.
10. continue to simmer even after the kadhi comes to a boil.
11. do keep on stirring at intervals and cook for 12 to 15 minutes on a low to low-medium flame. there should be no raw taste of besan in the kadhi. the dahi kadhi will also thicken by the time it is cooked. cover and keep aside.
tempering rajasthani kadhi:
1. heat 2 tablespoons ghee or oil in a small pan or tadka pan.
2. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
3. next add 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf). let the mustard seeds crackle.
4. then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
5. once the cumin seeds splutter, then add ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana).
6. add 2 dry red chilies. fry for a few seconds till the red chilies change their color.
7. switch off the flame and add ½ teaspoon red chilli powder. shake the pan or mix with a spoon.
8. immediately pour the tempering in the kadhi. cover and let the tempering flavors infuse with the rajasthani kadhi.
9. after 5 to 6 minutes, serve rajasthani kadhi with rotis or steamed rice or even with veg pulao.