matar paneer bhurji recipe with step by step photos – matar paneer bhurji, paneer bhurji and egg bhurji are popular breakfast recipes in the northern parts of india.
in hindi the word ‘bhurji’ means scrambled. so matar paneer bhurji is a spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese with onions, green chilies, tomatoes and indian spices. paneer bhurji is usually had with bread or even parathas & chapatis. along with the essential ingredients like onions, green chilies and tomatoes, sometimes peas are also added to the scrambled paneer while making paneer bhurji.
matar paneer bhurji recipe is a simple and easy breakfast recipe. along with the goodness of cottage cheese (paneer) you also have the nutritiousness of peas (matar).
if using fresh matar, then boil the mutter and set it aside to make the paneer. if using frozen matar, then cook it for 10-12 mins along with the masala and then add the paneer. i used frozen peas, so I did not cook them first.
alternatively, if you plan to make this recipe for breakfast, you could boil the mutter (both fresh/frozen) the night before and refrigerate them to be used in the morning.
you might also like to check these paneer recipes: paneer tikka, malai kofta, palak paneer, kadai paneer recipe, paneer butter masala, shahi paneer, matar paneer and indo chinese chilli paneer recipe.
matar paneer bhurji recipe below:
- 200 gms paneer/cottage cheese
- 100 gms peas or ½ cup peas
- 2 small to medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 80 to 90 gms tomatoes
- 1 small to medium onion or 50 gms onion, about ⅓ one third cup finely chopped onions
- 2 to 3 garlic & ½ inch ginger, crushed into a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit or chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, julienned
- ½ tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 2 tbsp oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee
- salt as required
- heat ghee in a pan. add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- now add the onions. fry the onions till light golden or golden.
- add the ginger garlic paste and saute till their aroma passes away. add chopped tomatoes.
- saute the tomatoes till the they become mushy and you can see the fat leaving the sides.
- add all the turmeric powder and red chili powder. stir.
- now add the fresh or frozen matar/peas.
- add 1 to 1.5 cups water. also add salt.
- cover the pan with the lid and cook the matar/peas on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes. frozen peas will take less time to cook as compared with fresh peas.
- check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. add more water if required.
- crumble the paneer/cottage cheese in the meantime.
- once the matar are cooked through and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer.
- stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked. also add slit green chilies.
- add the kasuri methi and garam masala. garnish with coriander leaves & ginger julienne.
- serve matar paneer bhurji hot with chapatis, parathas or bread.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
step by step matar paneer bhurji recipe:
1. heat 2 tbsp oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee in a pan. add ½ tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2. now add finely chopped 1 small to medium sized onion (50 gram onion).
3. saute the onions till light golden or golden.
4. add the ginger garlic paste (2 to 3 garlic & ½ inch ginger, crushed into a paste in mortar-pestle) and saute till their aroma passes away.
5. add chopped tomatoes (2 small to medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 80 to 90 gms tomatoes).
6. saute the tomatoes till the they become mushy and you can see the fat leaving the sides.
7. add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp red chili powder. stir.
8. now add the fresh or frozen matar/peas (100 gms peas or ½ cup peas) and stir. frozen peas will take less time to cook than fresh peas.
9. add 1 to 1.5 cups water. also add salt as required.
10. cover the pan with the lid and cook the matar/peas on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes.
11. check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. add more water if required.
13. crumble 200 grams paneer/cottage cheese in the meantime. once the matar are cooked well and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer.
14. stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked. also add 1 or 2 slit green chilies.
15. add ½ tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves and ½ tsp garam masala.
16. give a stir.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media