Paneer Bhurji and Egg Bhurji are breakfast recipe in the northern parts of India. It is a spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese with onions, green chilies, tomatoes and indian spices. Paneer Bhurji is usually had with bread or even parathas & chapatis. Along with the essential ingredients like onions, green chilies and tomatoes, sometimes peas are also added to the scrambled paneer while making paneer bhurji.
Mutter Paneer Bhurji Recipe is a simple and easy breakfast recipe. Along with the goodness of cottage cheese (paneer) you also have the nutritiousness of peas (mutter).
If using fresh mutter (peas), then boil the mutter and set it aside to make the paneer. If using frozen mutter, then cook it for 8-9 mins along with the masala and then add the paneer. I used frozen peas, so I did not boil them.
Alternatively, if you plan to make this recipe for breakfast, you could boil the mutter (both fresh/frozen) the night before and refrigerate them to be used in the morning.
Ingredients for making Mutter Paneer Bhurji:
- 1/2 cup frozen mutter (peas)
- 100/150 gms paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala (optional)
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1½cups water
- 1/2 tsp crushed kasuri methi (optional)
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves/cilantro to garnish, chopped
Method to make the Mutter Paneer Bhurji:
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Now add the onions.
- Fry the onions till transparent.
- Add in the chopped ginger, green chili and tomatoes.
- Fry the tomatoes till the they become mushy.
- Add all the dry masala powders and fry for a minute.
- Now add the frozen mutter (peas) plus 1½cups water.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook the peas on a medium flame for 8-9 minutes.
- Check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. Add more water if required.
- Crumble the paneer in the meantime.
- Once the mutter are done and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer. Add the kasuri methi and salt.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve mutter paneer bhurji hot with rotis, parathas or phulkas.
Mutter Paneer Bhurji Recipe details below: