I liked the way the mixed dal dosas turned out. I did not make a plain Mixed Dal Dosa. I made it in mumbai style….. the way the the typically mumbai mysore masala dosa is made. The dosa is stuffed with potato sabzi and grated/chopped veggies. It is unique to Mumbai and you won’t get it anywhere else. It tasted awesome……… better than serving it plain.
Serving it in this manner……… makes it a complete food as with the proteins from the pulses, there is also vitamins and minerals from the vegetables, plus carbohydrates from the potato masala filling. Serve it with coconut chutney or sambhar or even any dry chutney. I served it with mint-coriander chutney. This is an easy dosa recipe as it does not require fermentation. You can make the dosas right away after making the batter. So here is the wholesome protein packed Mixed Dal Dosa Recipe.
Ingredients for Mixed Dal Dosas:
3 tbsp each of arhar, chana, masoor and moong dals
1 green chilli
1/2 inch piece of ginger
1/4 tsp asafoetida
3 tbsp semolina-sooji (optional)
3 tbsp rice flour (optional)
oil or ghee or butter
Method to make the Mixed Dal Dosa:
- Soak all the dals overnight in water.
- Discard this water, the next day.
- Wash the dals in clean water and grind the dals with green chili, ginger and asafoetida in a grinder till smooth. Add around 1/4 cup of water while grinding the dals.
- Adding rice flour and suji (semolina) is optional. You could add them at this stage. I have made mixed dal dosas with and without semolina and rice flour. Both taste good. However, rice flour gives a consistency to the batter and semolina makes it crispier. Personally, I prefer to use both rice flour and semolina.
- Season the batter with salt.
- Right away, you could start making the dosas.
- On a tava or thick bottomed griddle, take a ladle of the batter.
- Pour the batter on the tava and spread the batter in a round circular portion with the ladle.
- Cook on a low to medium flame. Apply 1-2 tsp of oil/butter/ghee on the edges and top of the dosa.
- When the base is cooked and crisp…..you can check this by lifting the dosa slightly with the spatula. Turn over the dosa when the base is cooked.
- Cook the other side of dosa.
- Serve the dosa with aloo sabzi, sambhar and coconut chutney.
you might also love to check these dosa recipes: