kachumber or kuchumber salad is a good side dish that goes well with almost any indian dishes. basically kachumber is onion-tomato-cucumber salad tossed with indian spices and herbs.
i always mention about kachumber in most of the indian recipes i post, but never had a separate post on this indian salad.
in old time, when most families were staying in joint family then it was the norm to have a complete meal which includes rice, chapati, vegetable sabzi, dal, salad, curd, pickle and chutney. the best part about such meal was that they used to give us all the nutrition needed for our body. but now most of us stay in nuclear families and we don’t have time to make such elaborate meals everyday.
in the current time, its important that we eat raw veggies and make it a part of our diet and that’s where salads become such an important part of our meals. you can easily include cucumber, carrot, tomato, onion, lettuce, radish, bell peppers, blanched beans, boiled corn, boiled peas, moong sprouts and alfalfa sprouts in your salads.
in this kachumber, adding green chili is optional. only add if you are used to eating raw green chilies however you can spice this salad with some red chili powder if not adding chilies.
kachumber or kuchumber salad recipe below:
- 1 medium sized onion/pyaaz, chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes/tamatar, chopped
- 2-3 small sized cucumber/kheera, chopped
- 4-5 mint leaves/pudina patta, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves/dhania ke patte, chopped
- ½ or 1 tsp lemon juice
- a few lemon pieces for garnish
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder (optional)
- 1 green chili or ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- black salt or rock salt ot regular salt as required
- after cutting the vegetables take all of them in a bowl.
- add the rest of the ingredients
- toss the salad well so that the ingredients are mixed evenly.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or lemon juice, if required
- serve the kachumber salad immediately.