The Glossary of legumes and lentils or pulses used mainly in Indian Cuisine is presented here. The first column consists of their names in English, whilst the second column consists of their names translated in Hindi.The names of the legumes, lentils are listed in an alphabetical order.
Just for your information :-
- In Hindi, the word ‘ Sabut’ is used for lentils which are whole.
- The word ‘ Dal ‘ is used for spilt lentils.
- The word ‘ Dhuli ‘ is used for spilt and skinned lentils.
English – Hindi
- Bengal gram flour – Besan
- Bengal gram spilt and skinned – Chana dal, Chane ki dal
- Bengal gram whole – Kala Chana, Chana
- Black eyed beans, Cow peas – Lobhiya, lobiya, chawli, chavli
- Black peas – kala vatana.
- Black gram skinned – Urad dhuli
- Black gram split – Urad chilka
- Black gram whole – Urad sabut, urad saboot,
- Chick peas, Garbanzo beans – Kabuli Channa, Safed Chole, Chole
- Field bean – Val
- Green gram dal – Moong dal
- Green gram split – Moong chilka
- Green Gram Whole – Moong sabut , Mung sabut
- Horse gram – Kulthi
- Lentil Dal, Pink Lentil – Masoor dal, masar dal, masur dal
- Moth Bean – Moth, matki, mataki
- Peas – Mutter, matar, mattar
- Peas spilt, green peas spilt – matar dal, green matar dal
- Pigeon peas spilt and skinned – Arhar, tuvar, toor, tur dal
- Red Kidney Beans – Rajma
- Soyabean – Bhatma
Related Culinary Posts:
- Basic Culinary Terms in Indian Cooking
- Glossary of Indian Spices in English and Hindi
- Glossary of Cereals Grains in English and Hindi
- Glossary of Indian Dry Fruits in English and Hindi