Fruits name with a handy glossary table showcasing the names of various fruits in English, Hindi, Tamil and Marathi equivalents and in some other regional Indian languages.
I consider fruits to be nature’s candy. There are a bountiful of fruits that mother nature has blessed us with. Each season brings in a variety of fruits that we can savor and enjoy.
Fresh fruits are healthy and some of them have the tag of superfood too like avocado, blueberries, watermelon, strawberries, apples. You can eat them, juice them, make smoothies, make jams and preserves. In fact there are so many cakes and desserts that you can make with fruits.
In India we have fruits changing according to the season. There are some fruits that are perennial like bananas or coconut. And some fruits are strictly seasonal like mangoes, various berries, jackfruit.
It is a good practice to eat fruits when they are in season. Also try to buy them locally to save the carbon foot print. I also recommend to eat the indigenous fruits that are natively grown in your country.
Here in this post, you will the fruits names in Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Konkani and a few more other languages. I have tried to cover as many fruits as I can. I hope you find this list helpful.
If you know the name of any fruit in any regional Indian language and want to update it in this post, then do leave it in the comment section and we will update the post.
If we have missed any fruit, then also you can let us know. Thanks in advance.
Note that you will have to scroll the below table from left to right when viewing on a mobile phone or tablet.
List of Fruit Names
|Makhanphal||Venna pandu in Telugu|
|Coconut||Nariyal||Naral||Naal||Khopru in Gujarati|
|Dry Plums, Plum||Aloo Bukhara|
|Palapazham||Phanas||Phanas||Chakka in Malayalam|
|Black plum, Java Plum||Jamun||Jambhul||Jambul|
|Indian gooseberry||Amla||Nellikai||Avala, Awla||Avla||Raj Nellikai|
Nelli in Malayalam
|Palm fruit||Tad phal|
|Star fruit||Kamrakh||Kamarakh in Gujarati|
|Wood Apple, Bengal Quince||Bel, Bael|
Helpful Tips for Fruits
- While rinsing fruits soak them for 5 minutes in water to which some vinegar and baking soda or salt have been added. Then rinse them in fresh water for a couple of times thoroughly. This helps in getting rid of any pesticide residue on the fruits. Or if possible buy organic fruits and if you have a garden then grow your own fruits.
- Use seasonal fruits that are at the peak of their ripeness and freshness. Each fruit has a different nutrient composition and benefit. Thus consume different types of fruits in any season so that your nutrition needs are met.
- The best way to eat fruits is as nature has intended. Just enjoy them as is. This way you get all the nutrition benefits including the fiber from that fruit. Peel the fruit if they have inedible or hard peels. Remove and discard any inedible seeds or stones from the fruit.
- While pairing fruits in any dish like smoothie, drinks, salad, desserts etc, don’t mix acidic fruits like oranges, lemon with sweet fruits. Also, avoid mixing melons with any fruits.
- Don’t consume fruits after a meal. If you want to eat fruits then have them at least 2 hours before your meal or 2 to 3 hours after your meal or once your meal is digested.
- While buying fruits look for a bright color, good aroma and freshness in the fruits. For some fruits like mangoes, avocado, sapota when you press them lightly the outer skin should yield.
- Don’t drink water immediately after eating fruits. Always eat fruit fresh as soon as you are done chopping with it. Don’t let them rest for some minutes or few hours. Also, don’t refrigerate the chopped fruits.
Related Culinary Posts:
This fruit names post from the archives (originally published on December 2014) has been updated and republished on 19 Jun 2021.