gajar halwa or carrot halwa recipe with step by step photos – one of the most popular halwa recipes of india. gajar halwa is made in almost all festive occasions like diwali, holi, janmashtami and so on.
carrot halwa is a classic indian dessert that goes for any celebrative occasion or season. its an evergreen indian dessert made all over india.
there are 5 variations of making gajar halwa recipe including this one:
1. gajar halwa made with milk – although, this takes more time to prepare as compared to this condensed milk recipe. but i prefer this method more because taste wise it is the best.
2. carrot halwa in pressure cooker – easy and a less time taking recipe of preparing gajar halwa.
2. carrot halwa made with sweetened condensed milk or milkmaid – easy and quicker method to make the halwa.
3. microwave carrot halwa recipe – a quick method to make gajar halwa in microwave.
gajar halwa and beetroot halwa holds special memories for me. these two sweets were mom’s favorites sweets and no matter how tired she was or the lack of time she had, she would make sure to make these two sweets always… both together for festive and special occasions.
in this carrot halwa recipe, almond milk is used to make the halwa. the method of making this gajar halwa is exactly the way i make halwa with milk.
the proportion of sugar and oil/ghee can always be adjusted in any halwa. so if you like a more sweeter version, add more sugar and if you like a little more grease, then add some more oil or ghee.
personally for me this vegan gajar halwa made with almond milk was tastes similar to the regular gajar halwa. even the family could not make out the difference.
gajar halwa or carrot halwa recipe below:
- 2.5 cups grated carrots or gajar
- 2.5 cups almond milk (badam milk)
- 8 tablespoons regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - add more or less as required
- ¼ or ⅓ cup almond paste (optional)
- 5 to 6 green cardamom - powdered or crushed (hari elaichi)
- 8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews (kaju)
- 7 to 8 unsalted pistachois - sliced or chopped (pista)
- 12 to 15 golden raisins (kishmish)
- a pinch of saffron (kesar) - optional
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil or ghee sunflower oil
wash, peel and grate the carrots (gajar).
mix the almond milk or regular dairy milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
after 15-20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir.
when the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & oil/ghee.
stir and continue to cook.
when the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits.
stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes. serve carrot halwa hot or warm.
the carrot halwa can be also refrigerated and served cold.
carrot halwa stays good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- instead of almond paste, you can also use mawa (dried evaporated milk solids or khoya)
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
step by step gajar halwa or carrot halwa recipe:
1: first is the tedious job of grating carrots. use a food processor for quick results.
2: mix the almond milk and carrots together in a pan or kadai/wok.
3: put the pan on fire and bring the whole carrot – almond mixture to a gentle boil on a low or medium flame. better to cook on a low or medium flame as slow cooking gives a better taste and the mixture does not have less chances to stick to the pan. use a heavy based non reactive pan or a non stick pan or a wok to make the halwa.
4: then simmer and let the carrots-milk mixture cook further. this whole process of cooking the carrots in the milk, takes about 35-45 minutes or more on a low flame. after 12 minutes this is how the mixture appears.
5: once the carrots are half cooked ie. after overall after 18 minutes add the cardamom powder & stir.
6: continue to stir in between. after 3-4 minutes, add the oil/ghee and sugar.
7: stir and let the mixture thicken. continue to cook. after 5 minutes…
8: when the liquids in the mixture has almost dried, add raisins, cashews, saffron and almond paste.
9: stir and cook for 2-3 minutes till the moisture dries up. serve the carrot halwa hot or warm. you can have carrot halwa cold too. if stored in a refrigerator then carrot halwa stays good for 3-4 days.