falooda recipe with step by step photos and video – falooda or faluda is a layered summer dessert beverage made with milk, rose syrup, sabja seeds, falooda sev, dry fruits and ice cream. falooda with ice cream is a very popular and delicious north indian summer drink. its quite popular in many indian cities like delhi, gurgaon, mumbai or pune.
falooda is one dessert beverage which is our favorite. i often make falooda during the summers. sabja or sweet basil seeds are always at home. since i add them often to various beverages like:
the basic falooda can be made with just four ingredients – soaked sabja seeds, rose syrup or rooh afza, falooda sev (these are vermicelli made from corn starch) and chilled milk. there is no need to add any sugar as the sweetness of the rose syrup is enough to make the falooda sweet. you can also add strawberry flavored jelly to the falooda. top with a bit of dry fruits or vanilla ice cream and your falooda is ready. you have to have this dessert drink with spoon.
falooda is equally popular all over india specially in delhi and mumbai. its not only delicious but also very cooling for the summers as sabja seeds and rooh afza are cooling in nature. there is another variation of kulfi falooda in which kulfi is served with falooda and sabja seeds.
few more delicious falooda variations you can make are:
for the ice cream, you can easily use ice creams or kulfi like:
the falooda recipe can be veganized, by using chilled almond milk and a vegan ice cream or kulfi. if you do not have falooda sev, substitute whole wheat vermicelli instead.
falooda recipe quick video (1.23 minute)
falooda recipe below:
falooda recipe | falooda ice cream recipe
faluda recipe with ice cream - layered summer dessert beverage made with milk, rose syrup, sabja seeds, falooda sev, dry fruits and ice cream. faluda is a popular north indian summer drink.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1/3 cup falooda sev
- 4 to 5 tablespoon soaked sabja seeds (sweet basil seeds) - soak about ½ tablespoon sabja seeds in enough water
- 4 cups chilled whole milk
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 5 to 6 tablespoon rose syrup
- 5 to 6 shelled pistachios, sliced or slivered (pista)
- 5 to 6 cashews or almonds, sliced
- 5 to 6 golden raisins (kishmish)
how to make recipe
preparation for falooda recipe:
- soak 1/2 tbsp of sabja seeds in water for about 30 to 40 mins. once they swell. drain and then keep aside.
- prepare the falooda sev according to package instructions.
if cooking the falooda sev, then once cooked, rinse the cooked falooda sev in water. drain and keep them aside. let them cool completely.
making falooda recipe:
- in 4 glasses each, add 1.5 to 2 tbsp rose syrup. depending upon your taste you can add less or more. 2 tbsp of rose syrup makes it more sweet.
- then add 1 or 1.5 tbsp of sabja seeds
- add 1 to 1.5 tbsp of the falooda sev.
- in a slow stream, pour about 3/4 to 1 cup milk.
- then top with one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
garnish the falooda with a few raisins, sliced pistachios, almonds or cashews.
serve the falooda immediately.
the falooda recipe can be doubled and tripled.
how to make falooda recipe:
1. soak the sabja seeds in enough water for about 30 mins. when they swell up, drain them and keep aside.
2. prepare the falooda sev according to package instructions. some require just soaking the falooda sev in warm water. i had to cook them in boiling water much like noodles. once they are cooked, rinse them in water and keep aside. just chop them before cooking if they are long. the ones i had got, were already small sized.
3. in about 4 tall serving glasses each, add the rose syrup first. you can add about 1.5 to 2 tbsp rose syrup depending on your taste as well as the size of the glass. 2 tbsp of rose syrup make it more sweet.
4. then add the soaked and drained sabja seeds.
5. add the falooda sev.
6. add about ¾ to 1 cup chilled milk in a slow stream taking care that the milk does not mix with the rose syrup and the sabja seeds. the layers have to be visible and that is what makes the falooda visually appealing.
7. finally add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or pista ice cream or mango ice cream or malai kulfi.
8. top the falooda with sliced pistachios, golden raisins and sliced almonds. serve falooda with ice cream immediately.