falooda ice cream is a layered summer dessert drink made with milk, rose syrup, sabja seeds, falooda sev, dry fruits and ice cream. faluda is a popular indian summer drink and very easy to make.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
for soaking sabja seeds
- ½ tablespoon sabja seeds (sweet basil seeds, tukmaria seeds) - chia seeds can be added as a substitute
- 1 to 1.25 cups water or add as required
for cooking falooda sev
- 5 tablespoons falooda sev - roughly ⅓ cup
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
for making faluda (4 glasses or 4 servings)
- 6 tablespoons rose syrup or add as required
- 6 tablespoons soaked sabja seeds
- 12 tablespoons cooked falooda sev - about ¾ cup cooked falooda sev
- 4 cups chilled whole milk or chilled almond milk
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 10 to 12 unsalted pistachios - sliced or slivered (pista)
- 10 to 12 almonds - slivered or chopped
- 10 to 12 cashews - chopped
- 10 to 12 golden raisins (kishmish)
preparation for falooda recipe
soak sabja seeds in water for about 20 to 30 mins. once they swell then drain the extra water and keep aside.
prepare the falooda sev according to package instructions.
some require just soaking the falooda sev in warm water. i had to cook them in boiling water much like noodles. so i heated up 1.5 cups water and let it come to a boil. you can heat about 1.5 to 2 cups water.
then added 5 tablespoons sev (roughly ⅓ cup). if the faluda sev are long, then just chop them before cooking.
boil the faluda sev in the hot water on medium flame till they are softened and cooked well.
once cooked, using strainer or colander, drain the extra water. then rinse the cooked falooda sev in fresh water. drain the water again. keep covered aside till they are cooled completely at room temperature.
chop the nuts.
making faluda recipe
in 4 tall glasses each, add 1.5 to 2 tablespoons rose syrup. depending upon your taste you can add less or more of the rose syrup.
then add 2 tablespoons soaked sabja seeds.
add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the faluda sev.
in a slow stream, pour about 1 cup milk.
then top with one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
garnish the faluda with a few raisins, sliced pistachios, almonds or cashews. prepare the remaining falooda drink in the same way.
serve the falooda immediately. while drinking falooda, with a spoon mix the rose syrup settled at the bottom with the milk and then drink.
- this falooda recipe can be doubled and tripled.
- no need to any sugar as the rose syrup itself is very sweet. you can add less or more of the rose syrup according to your taste buds.
- jelly can be skipped or added and is an optional ingredient.
- dry fruits and nuts can be of your choice.
- use almond milk and vegan ice cream for a vegan falooda.
- the remaining soaked basil seeds and sev can be kept in the refrigerator and stays well for a couple of days. soaked sabja seeds can be added to lemon based drinks, rose-based drinks, any sharbat or even just plain water or chilled milk.