sesame chutney recipe with step by step photos – this chutney is a variation of my mom’s coconut sesame chutney that she usually makes. the chutney pairs very well with idlis, dosa and with rice kanji (savoury rice porridge).
you can make many varieties of coconut chutney recipes like red coconut chutney, hotel style coconut chutney and have them with south indian snacks like idli, dosas and uttapams. a simple chutney adds so much flavor and taste to south indian snacks that you won’t feel like having them without a chutney along with it.
the color of the chutney is bright orange as i have added kashmiri red chilies to the chutney. the only variation in this recipe is the addition of roasted peanuts and dry red chilies.
this sesame coconut chutney does not have any tempering done. after grinding with some water, you can just serve it directly with idlis or dosas. so this is a quick and easy chutney, if you have all the ingredients at home. even bachelors or novice cook can make it easily at home.
coconut sesame chutney recipe card below:
sesame chutney recipe
coconut sesame chutney recipe to go along with idlis, dosa, uttapam and with rice kanji (savoury rice porridge)
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup grated coconut - fresh or dessicated
- 3 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds (bhuna hua til)
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (bhuni hui moongphali)
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind (imli)
- 3 dry red kashmiri chilies or dry red bedgi chilies (sookhi lal mirch), broken and deseeded
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- salt as required
- 1 cup water for grinding or as required
how to make recipe
heat a pan. keep the flame to a low. add 2 tablespoon peanuts (moongphali) and roast them stirring often till they become crunchy. remove and keep aside.
in the same pan, add 3 tablespoon sesame seeds (safed til) and roast them stirring often till they become a light golden. remove and keep aside. let the peanuts and sesame seeds cool down.
in a blender jar, add roasted peanuts, roasted sesame seeds and 1 cup fresh grated or desiccated coconut.
then add 1 tablespoon of seedless tamarind (imli), 2 to 3 garlic cloves, 3 dry red chilies which are broken and deseeded. also add salt as required.
lastly add 1 cup of water or as consistency required.
grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste.
serve sesame chutney with idli, dosa or rice kanji or other south indian snacks like uttapam, medu vada etc.
how to make coconut sesame chutney recipe:
1. firstly we will dry roast 2 tablespoon peanuts (moongphali) on a pan. you can skip this step if you already have roasted peanuts with you.
2. roast the peanuts till they become crunchy in color. you will see some black spots on then when they are roasted well. you can peel the peanuts if you wish. i haven’t peeled the peanuts for this chutney recipe.
3. keep the roasted peanuts aside in a plate.
4. in the same way, dry roast 3 tablespoon sesame seeds (safed til).
5. roast them till they change to light golden color. but don’t burn them.
6. keep the roasted sesame seeds (bhuna hua til) aside. let both the peanuts and sesame seeds cool down.
7. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making coconut sesame chutney.
8. in a blender jar add roasted sesame seeds and 1 cup fresh grated or desiccated coconut.
9. next add add roasted peanuts, 1 tablespoon of seedless tamarind (imli), 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun), 3 dry red chilies which is broken and deseeded. also add salt as required.
10. lastly add 1 cup of water or as consistency required.
11. grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste.