This Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe is a simple and easy method to make vegan pizza dough crust from 100% whole wheat flour.
This recipe gives a soft textured pizza base crust and one which is crisp from outside after getting baked. There is no denseness or chewiness felt in the pizza bread crust. A Vegan Recipe.
Pizza is one of those dishes that are popular all over the world. I make pizza once or twice a month. Recently I developed this whole wheat pizza dough recipe and I thought I should share it with you all.
I made three types of pizza with this recipe on various occasions. No one could tell that the pizzas were made from whole wheat flour. So good and yet healthy.
To make this pizza dough crust I have used instant yeast. For Indian readers – in the Indian markets, dry active yeast is sold as instant yeast and it causes a lot of confusion.
Instant yeast granules are small and resemble poppy seeds. Dry active yeast granules are larger and have the size of large mustard seeds. So if you buy a pack mentioning instant yeast and the size is bigger, than its actually dry active yeast. You can also check this No yeast pizza dough.
If using dry active yeast:
- Proof dry active yeast in warm water and sugar solution separately till the mixture froths and bubbles. Then mix with the rest of the ingredients and knead.
- Double the leavening time.
- The time taken to leaven will depend on the temperature conditions in your city. So you can keep the dough for 2 to 3 hours or more if required. I have mentioned the details if using active dry yeast or fresh yeast in the notes section of the recipe card below.
- Use good quality dry active yeast and do make sure that the water is neither on the cooler side or hot. It should be warm.
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast = 1.5 teaspoons active dry yeast = 3 teaspoons fresh yeast
With this vegan pizza crust recipe I have made quite a number of pizza varieties. Two pizza recipes I have shared are:
This whole wheat pizza dough recipe yields 7 thin crust pizzas of 9 inches each. You can refrigerate or freeze the dough easily.
Do note that I have used a stand mixer to knead the dough, but its also easy to knead the dough with hands. Just make sure that the dough is kneaded till smooth, soft and supple.
How to make whole wheat pizza dough
1. Take 1 teaspoon instant yeast (3 grams) in a mixing bowl or in the stand mixer bowl.
2. Add ½ teaspoon sugar.
3. Then add 1 cup water. Mix well.
4. Next add 3 cups whole wheat flour.
5. Season with 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil. If you do not have olive oil, use any neutral flavored oil.
7. Now add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
8. Attach the bowl to a stand mixer with the hook attachment. On a medium-high speed knead the dough. If kneading with hands, then mix everything very well and then knead for at least 8 to 10 minutes.
9. The dough should be smooth, pliable and soft. If the dough looks dry, then you can add some water while kneading. If the dough looks sticky, then you can sprinkle some flour. Depending on the quality of flour, you will need to add less or more water.
10. Spread some water all over the dough.
11. Cover with a lid or a kitchen towel and allow to leaven till the dough increases in volume and doubles up. I kept for 1 hour 45 minutes as its cold here. That too I kept the bowl in the sun, which is not very strong in the winters. In a warm temperature, you can easily keep for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If using dry active yeast, then keep for 2 hours to 3 hours (depends on the temperature conditions in your city).
12. The pizza dough will nicely increase in volume and double up.
13. Here is a look at the texture. It should be stringy with tiny air pockets.
14. Knead the dough lightly again and then you can directly make pizzas from these. Or you can keep them covered in a tight box or pan. Spread some olive oil all over the dough before placing them in the box.
15. Cover the box or pan with a tight-fitting lid.
16. Keep in the refrigerator or freeze the whole wheat pizza dough. In the refrigerator this dough stays good for 4 to 5 days. in the freezer, you can store for a couple of weeks.
More pizza varieties
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Foolproof Recipe)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour or 360 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast or 3 grams of instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water - you can also add 1.25 cups water or add as required depending upon the quality of wheat flour
- Take 1 teaspoon instant yeast (3 grams) in a mixing bowl or in the stand mixer bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon sugar and 1 cup water. mix well.
- Next add 3 cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice..
- If you do not have olive oil, use any neutral flavoured oil.
- Attach the bowl to a stand mixer with the hook attachment. On a medium-high speed knead the dough. If kneading with hands, then mix everything very well and then knead for atleast 8 to 10 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth, pliable and soft. If the dough looks dry, then you can add some water while kneading. If the dough looks sticky, then you can sprinkle some flour.
- Spread some water all over the dough.
- Cover with a lid or a kitchen towel and allow to leaven for 45 minutes to 2 hours till the dough increases in volume and doubles up. If using dry active yeast, then keep for 2 hours to 3 hours or more. Timing varies with the temperature conditions in your city.
- The pizza dough will nicely increase in volume and double up.
- Knead the dough lightly again and then you can directly make pizzas from these. Or you can keep them covered in a tight box or pan. Spread some olive oil all over the dough before placing them in the box.
- Cover the box or pan with a tight fitting lid. Keep in refrigerator or freeze the whole wheat pizza dough.
- In the refrigerator this whole wheat pizza dough stays good for 4 to 5 days. In the freezer, you can store for a couple of weeks.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water + ½ teaspoon sugar solution. Cover the bowl and let the yeast proof for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The water should be warm and not on the cooler side or hot. Or else the yeast solution will not get proofed or activated.
- When the yeast solution has become bubbly and frothy, then mix it with the whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt and lemon juice. Knead to a smooth dough.
- Spread some water or olive oil all over the dough. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to leaven for 2 to 3 hours or more (depends on the temperature conditions in your city).
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.