Pizza sandwich is a quick and filling snack made with bread, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, veggies, herbs and seasonings. You can make them for brunch, lunch or as an after school fun snack for kids. For a healthier option use whole meal bread or whole grain bread.
These sandwiches are called as pizza sandwiches since they include the essential toppings that are used in making Pizza – namely pizza sauce, cheese and seasonings. My recipe is a vegetarian version and includes veggies like onion and capsicum.
But you can always add veggies of your choice in the stuffing like steamed baby corn or boiled sweet corn. You can also add sauteed mushrooms or sauteed spinach or sauteed broccoli.
Some vegetables you can use raw like onions, capsicum, carrots. But some veggies you will need to cook them like spinach, green peas, sweet corn, baby corn etc. You can either roast them or saute them. So keeping this fact in mind add the veggies which are available to you in your kitchen.
These pizza sandwiches are grilled but you can also toast them. They are very easy to prepare, if you have pizza zauce handy. I have here used homemade Pizza Sauce. You can also use tomato sauce or tomato ketchup or tomato passata to make these pizza sandwiches.
As far cheese is concerned, you can add pizza cheese or mozzarella cheese. Even cheddar cheese or processed cheese can be added.
Serve pizza sandwich hot or warm with Tomato Ketchup or tomato sauce. you can accompany some potato chips or banana chips along with it.
How to make Pizza Sandwich
1. Prep all the ingredients like chop onion, capsicum. Grate if using firm cheese and break the cheese into small pieces if using a soft fresh mozzarella cheese.
Cut the bread loaf into equal slices. I have used homemade Whole Wheat Bread.
You can use any soft bread like brown bread or white bread or multi grain bread or any soft bread of your choice.
2. Brush some olive oil evenly all over on the bread slices. You can also opt to use softened butter.
3. Spread a light layer of pizza sauce. Here I have used homemade pizza sauce. Feel free to use canned or bottled pizza sauce.
You need to spread the sauce only on one slice of the sandwich. Don’t spread it on the second slice as this can make your sandwich soggy.
4. Place mozzarella cheese. If using soft cheese, you can break it and if using cheddar or processed cheese, then grate and then add.
I have used fresh mozzarella cheese which has a soft texture. If using mozzarella cheese which has a firm texture then grate or shred it.
You can also use paneer (Indian cottage cheese) instead of mozzarella. But keep in mind that paneer will not melt like mozzarella cheese.
For a vegan pizza sandwich use scrambled tofu or use a plant based cheese.
5. Sprinkle some dried oregano and basil. You can also add some fresh basil. Since the pizza sauce which I used already had fresh basil, I have not added them.
You can also use Italian seasonings or Herbes de Provence or your choice of herbs.
6. Now place chopped onions and capsicum. You can add veggies of your choice like steamed baby corn or boiled sweet corn. You can also add sauteed mushrooms.
Do not overstuff with the veggies or cheese. Overstuffing with veggies can make your veg pizza sandwich soggy.
To add some more flavors, opt to add sliced pitted green or black olives. For a spicy kick add some chopped or sliced jalapeño.
7. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
8. Place in a preheated sandwich maker or panini press. Do not press the top cover of the sandwich maker too much as then the cheese may spill outside after melting.
9. Grill till the sandwiches are crisp and golden. Toast or grill all the remaining sandwiches this way.
10. Serve pizza sandwich hot or warm with tomato ketchup or tomato sauce.
You can accompany some potato wedges or french fries or potato chips, if you want with these grilled pizza sandwiches. They make for a filling brunch or snack.
For best taste and flavor enjoy these sandwiches while hot or still warm. On cooling, the bread can become chewy and the cheese will also have a dense texture.
If you are looking for more Bread Snacks then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 12 bread slices – whole wheat, brown, multi grain or white bread
- 1 onion small to medium-sized, chopped
- 1 capsicum (green bell pepper) – small to medium-sized, chopped
- 8 to 9 tablespoons Pizza Sauce – or as required
- 10 to 12 tablespoons mozzarella cheese – grated or chopped, swap with processed cheese or cheddar cheese; add as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil for brushing, or as required
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano and basil, or as required
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes or as required – optional
- Prep all the ingredients like chop the onions and capsicum. Prep the cheese. Slice the bread loaf.
- Brush some olive oil evenly all over on the bread slices.
- Spread a light layer of pizza sauce. You need to spread the sauce only on one slice of the sandwich. Don't spread it on the second slice as this can make your sandwich soggy.
- Place mozzarella cheese. If using a soft cheese, you can break it and if using processed cheese or a firm cheese, then grate and add.
- Sprinkle some dried oregano. You can also add some fresh basil. Or you can opt to add your choice of herbs or Italian seasoning.
- Now place chopped onions and capsicum. Do not stuff too much with the veggies or cheese. You can add veggies of your choice like steamed baby corn or sweet corn. You can also add sauteed mushrooms.
- Cover with the remaining bread slices.
- Place in a preheated sandwich maker or panini press. Do not press the top cover of the sandwich maker too much as then the cheese may spill outside after melting.
- Grill till the sandwiches are crisp and golden. Grill or toast all sandwiches this way.
- Serve pizza sandwich hot or warm with tomato ketchup. You can accompany some baked potato wedges or fries if you want with the grilled pizza sandwiches.
- Recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- You can add veggies of your choice
- Instead of olive oil, you can use butter.
- Either homemade or store bought pizza sauce or passata can be used.
- Instead of pizza cheese or mozzarella cheese, you can also use cheddar cheese or processed cheese or paneer or tofu.
- You can add fresh basil instead of dried basil. Also you can add mixed fresh or dried herbs of your choice.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Pizza Sandwich Recipe post from the archives (October 2016) has been republished and updated on 24 September 2021.