The strawberry season in India brings along all kinds of cravings for the quintessential Strawberry Cream across all ages. Be it a child, a teen or an old man, there’s hardly anyone I know who doesn’t like this fabulous combo. Mahabaleshwar, a hill station in Maharashtra, India known for its luscious strawberry fields is also synonymous with Strawberry Cream. Worry not, as this recipe will help you prepare a Mahabaleshwar style Strawberry Cream dessert at home, without any hassle.
About Strawberry Cream
Besides fresh strawberries and cream of course, other ingredients that go into making this gorgeous dessert is sugar and vanilla extract. Now, you may be wondering about the ones available at the eateries in Mahabaleshwar or other places that are loaded with more fancy things.
You can jazz up your Strawberry Cream the way you wish to. I keep it minimalistic so that I can enjoy both the dominant flavors individually too. This is my version of the recipe, which is super simple and pretty much gets done in no time, yet is droolworthy!
My choice of cream for this Strawberry Cream recipe is a 25% fat fresh cream, basically a light cream. You can easily use 35% to 50% fat cream a.k.a whipping cream or heavy cream. But make sure to chill and use.
This recipe is a very simple version of Strawberry Cream. I did not add any ice cream and the only extra flavor was that of vanilla. You can absolutely make it your own way by adding one or two scoops of Strawberry Ice Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream.
Usually at eateries, this dessert is assembled in tall glasses as they add more elements apart from the strawberries and cream. Since mine is a basic recipe, I serve the rich Strawberry Cream in ice cream cups. Enjoy it as a yum berryish dessert after your meals.
If you like the combination of mixed fruits with cream, then this Fruit Cream recipe is going to be handy for you.
How to make Strawberry Cream
1. Rinse, hull and chop 250 grams fresh strawberries. Take them in a bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon sugar. This step of macerating strawberries is optional and only if the strawberries are tart and not sweet. If the strawberries are very tart, then you can add more sugar.
3. Mix the sugar well with the strawberries and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. This is the macerated strawberry-sugar mixture. You will see some juices also released by the strawberries.
Make Strawberry Cream
5. Take 1 cup chilled cream and ¼ cup powdered sugar or icing sugar in a bowl. I used powdered sugar.
6. On a medium-high to high speed, whip the cream-sugar mixture till soft peaks. You can use a stand mixer or an electric beater to whip the cream.
7. Whip till the cream gets soft peaks.
8. Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
9. Fold in the cream, gently.
10. Take serving bowls or glasses. Layer them first with some of the macerated strawberry mixture. Also, add a bit of the juice.
11. Then, layer with the whipped cream.
12. Again, add some of the macerated strawberries and the juice.
13. Repeat again with some of the whipped cream.
14. Lastly, garnish with some strawberry slices and serve Strawberries and Cream. You can also chill for a few hours and then serve.
- Macerating the fresh strawberries by adding an additional tablespoon or two of sugar is needed, as strawberries are sometimes tart and not sweet. Adjust the sugar quantity according to how tart the strawberries are.
- For best results, you have to chill the cream overnight before whipping it.
- A vegan Strawberry Cream is absolutely possible! Use coconut cream in place of dairy cream. It works wonderfully in this recipe.
- Others sweet berries or fruits like mango can be used in place of strawberries in the same recipe.
- Garnish your Strawberry Cream with some fresh strawberry slices, fresh mint leaves, chocolate chips or grated chocolate.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Strawberry Cream | Easy Strawberries and Cream
- 250 grams fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar or add as required
- 1 cup chilled cream – 25% to 50% fat
- ¼ cup powdered sugar or icing sugar or confectioner's sugar, add as required
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 drops of vanilla essence
- Rinse, hull and chop the strawberries. Take them in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar. This step of macerating strawberries is optional and only if the strawberries are tart and not sweet. If the strawberries are very tart, then you can add more sugar.
- Mix the sugar very well and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Later take 1 cup cold cream and ¼ cup powdered sugar or icing sugar in a mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl.
- On a medium-high to high speed whip the cream and sugar till soft peaks. You can use a stand mixer or an electric beater to whip the cream.
- Whip till the cream gets soft peaks.
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and gently fold in the cream.
- Take serving bowls or glasses. Layer them first with some of the strawberry mixture. Also add a bit of the juice.
- Then layer with the whipped cream.
- Again add some of the strawberries and the juice.
- Repeat again with some of the whipped cream.
- Lastly garnish with some slices strawberries and serve Strawberries and Cream. You also can chill for a few hours and then serve Strawberry Cream.
- Do chill the cream overnight for some hours before whipping it.
- Substitute for dairy cream is coconut cream, which also goes very well in this recipe.
- Instead of strawberries, you can use any fresh sweet berries. Fruits like mango can also be used.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Strawberry Cream recipe from the archives, originally published in January 2017 has been updated and republished on January 2023.