veg sesame toast recipe with step by step photos – an indo chinese starter snack that i got inspired to make after having it in one of the well known chinese restaurant close by my home. their sesame toast is a killer. i could not make the way like theirs, but we were satisfied with the result.
this sesame toast makes for a nice breakfast or snack option. you could prep the veggies a night before. then it becomes easy to make the toast in the morning hours.
toast and sandwich recipes are easy and quick to prepare. these quick recipes are much sought after recipes for people who are usually short of time and want to prepare their breakfast quickly. sesame and veggies adds a lot of nutrition value in this toast as well as crunch and flavor. these crisp golden toasts can be served as a starter for a party menu also and even is a favorite with kids. you can also check this chinese toast recipe.
i have used brown bread to make the toast. however, the toast can be made with white bread, whole wheat bread or even multi grain bread. i have shallow fried the toast instead of deep frying. i am not sure if the toast can be made in the oven as i have not tried doing so.
veg sesame toast recipe below:
sesame toast recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR sesame toast recipe
for the veg filling:
- 1 small to medium carrot, finely chopped - approx ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 8 to 10 french beans, finely chopped - approx ¼ cup finely chopped beans
- 1 medium potato, boiled - approx ½ cup of mashed potato
- 1 small capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch) - ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 small to medium onion - ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery or coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sesame seeds or as required
- salt and black pepper as required
for the cornstarch solution:
- 3 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water
- 4 to 5 slices of bread - white bread, brown bread or whole wheat
- oil for shallow frying or deep frying
HOW TO MAKE sesame toast recipe
- boil the potato and then mash it. parboil the carrots and beans. finely chop them it.
- also finely chop the onions, capsicum, celery or coriander, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- in a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, finely chopped carrot, beans, capsicum, onion, celery or coriander, ginger,garlic, green chili, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and black pepper really well.
- let this mixture cool completely
- cut the bread into rectangular or triangle or small shaped squares or even round shape with a biscuit cutter. spread the veggie filling evenly. press it lightly so that the filling sticks to the bread.
- you can also first spread the cornflour paste on the bread and then spread the veggie filling.
- then apply the corn flour paste on it. sprinkle the sesame seeds liberally over the paste. press lightly so that they don't fall off.
- heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying. slid the bread slices upside down with the filling side at the bottom, in medium hot oil.
- when this side gets browned, turn and cook the other side. you can flip once or twice to get a uniform golden color.
- fry the bread slices till crisp golden. drain the fried bread slices on paper towels.
- then slice them if you want & serve sesame toast hot with tomato sauce or chili sauce or schezuan sauce.
step by step veg sesame toast recipe:
1. boil the potatoes. parboil the carrots and beans in a steamer or pressure cooker. i added everything in an electric steamer and removed the carrots and beans when they were half cooked.
2. finely chop the carrots, beans, capsicum, celery and onions. mash the potatoes as well.
3. mix the mashed potatoes, finely chopped carrots, beans, capsicum, onions, celery, ginger, garlic, green chili, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and black pepper. also make a separate paste of cornflour in another bowl or cup.
4. stir and mix really well. let the mixture cool completely.
5. cut the bread into rectangular or triangle or small shaped squares or even round shape with a biscuit cutter. spread the veggie filling evenly. press it lightly so that the filling sticks to the bread. you can also first spread cornflour paste on the bread and then spread the veggie filling.
6. then apply the corn flour paste on it.
7. sprinkle the sesame seeds liberally over the corn flour paste. press lightly so that they don’t fall off.
8. heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying. slid the bread slices in medium hot oil upside down and fry till golden.
9. turn over carefully with a spatula and fry the other side.
10. since bread absorbs a lot of oil, fry the slices on a medium hot oil till golden.
11. drain the sesame toast on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
12. serve veg sesame toast hot with tomato sauce or chili sauce.