Paneer Manchurian Recipe With step by step Photos – Sweet, sour, umami Indo Chinese recipe of paneer manchurian gravy.
It is a delectable Indo Chinese recipe. You will find Paneer Manchurian and Veg Manchurian on many Indian restaurants’ Chinese menus.
This delicious recipe is for a Paneer Manchurian gravy or curry. If you like the Dry version, then please check the notes section in the recipe details below or check this Dry Paneer Manchurian Recipe.
Instead of Paneer, you could also use Tofu for this recipe. I love Chinese food, be it the authentic original Chinese food or the Indo Chinese Food.
This Paneer Manchurian gravy recipe is easy to make. Whenever you make Indo Chinese cuisine at home, please don’t forget to add celery. Celery gives so much flavor and makes it really Chinese 🙂 If you don’t add celery, then something will be missing in the dish and you can actually feel it in the taste.
However if you don’t have celery then you can skip adding it and the paneer manchurian will still taste good.
You can serve it hot garnished with spring onion greens with fried rice or veg noodles.
How to make Paneer Manchurian
Frying Paneer Cubes
1: Dice 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese) into cubes or squares. Mix 2 tbsp corn flour, ½ tsp chopped ginger-garlic, black pepper powder (as required) and salt (as required). Mix the whole mixture well.
2: Heat 4-5 tbsp oil in a wok or kadai. Shallow fry the flour-coated paneer cubes till light golden.
3: Drain on kitchen tissues and keep aside. Don’t over fry as the paneer cubes might become dense.
4: If there is extra oil in the wok, then remove it in a bowl. Add spring onions to the oil and stir fry till the onions become translucent. Add 5-6 finely chopped garlic, ½ inch finely chopped ginger, 1 finely chopped green chilli, 1 tsp chopped celery and stir fry for some seconds.
5: Now add 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 or 1.5 tbsp tomato sauce and 1.5 cup veg stock or water. Cook till the mixture begins to simmer.
6: Add the cornflour paste (2 tbsp corn flour + ½ cup water). Stir so that the no lumps are formed.
7: Simmer and keep on stirring till the gravy begins to thicken. Once the desired consistency of thickness is done, add the fried paneer cubes, (¼ or ½) tsp black pepper powder, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp white vinegar and salt as required.
8: Stir and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes. Serve Paneer Manchurian hot garnished with spring onion greens with some veg fried rice or veg noodles. I served it with an Asian veg pulao.
Few More Tasty Recipes for you!
- 200 grams cottage cheese (paneer) or tofu
- 1 small capsicum (green bell pepper) - chopped or thinly sliced, optional
- 1.5 cups veg stock or water
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ cup chopped spring onion (scallion whites)
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar
- salt as required
- 4 to 5 tablespoons oil for frying the paneer
- a few spring onions for garnishing (scallion greens)
for the corn flour paste
- 2 tablespoon corn flour
- ½ cup water
for paneer marinade
- 2 tablespoon corn flour
- ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic, chopped
- salt as required
- pepper as required as required
- Mix all the ingredients for the paneer marinade.
- Add paneer to the marinade to the paneer. Toss the mixture well, so that the paneer is well coated with the marinade.
- Shallow or deep fry the paneer cubes in hot oil. Drain on paper napkins and keep aside.
Making Paneer Manchurian
- Remove the extra oil from the wok or kadai. When the oil becomes hot add the onions.
- Stir fry the onions on medium to high heat taking care that they do burn.
- Make the corn flour paste with water.
- Let the onions become translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, green chili and celery. Stir for some seconds or a minute.
- Now add the capsicum if adding them. Stir fry the capsicum also for 2-3 mins.
- Now add all the sauces, veg stock or water. Stir and simmer. Add the corn flour paste and let the sauce thicken.
- Now add the fried paneer cubes, vinegar, pepper and salt. Stir and simmer the gravy for a minute.
- Garnish it with spring onion green and serve paneer manchurian hot with veg fried rice, asian veg rice or veg noodles.
Tips for making paneer manchurian
- Add the cornflour paste slowly and keep on stirring while adding it so that lumps are not formed.
- If you like to have more gravy, you will obviously use more water or stock. So in proportion you will have to increase the cornflour paste.
- The cornflour is added to thicken to the gravy. If the gravy becomes too thick, then you can thin it by adding little water.
- You can even add the paneer pieces directly instead of frying them.
- If you want the manchurian to be to be dry, then do not add any water.
- Just add the sauces, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar. Stir well. Add the fried paneer pieces.
- Mix the paneer pieces in the sauce and serve it hot.