Paneer barfi recipe with step by step photos – one easy recipe of soft sweet fudge made with cottage cheese (paneer), condensed milk and cream.
In between I shall be posting some easy to make sweets for the upcoming festive season. This paneer barfi is one such sweet. You can also call these paneer peda. I sliced into squares. You can also shape them into pedas. Few more popular Barfi recipes on the blog are:
If the recipe is correct then making barfi is much easier and quicker process than making halwa or ladoos.
This whole Paneer barfi recipe takes not more than 15 minutes to prepare, if you have blanched the dry fruits before. These stay well in the fridge for about a week. Keep them in a closed box or small jar in the fridge.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 200 grams sweetened condensed milk or ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 100 grams Paneer (cottage cheese)
- 125 ml cream or ½ cup cream - low fat 25% to 30% (i used amul cream)
- 1 teaspoon rose water or one drop of rose essence
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar)
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) finely powdered in a mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon Ghee for greasing a pan or tray
- 10 to 12 shelled and blanched pistachios (pista)
- 10 to 12 blanched almonds (badam)
preparation for paneer barfi recipe
- First heat water in a pan or in the microwave till bubbling hot.
- Add pistachios and almonds to the hot water. Cover and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Then peel the pistachios and almonds and chop them. Keep the chopped dry fruits aside.
- Grate the paneer (cottage cheese).
making paneer barfi
- In a pan take the sweetened condensed milk, cream and grated paneer.
- Stir, mix and then keep this pan on a stove top on a low flame.
- Begin to cook and keep on stirring this mixture.
- Continue to stir, so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan. The mixture would begin to thicken.
- When you see the mixture leaving the sides of the pan and clumping together, then add saffron and cardamom powder. About 10 minutes.
- Continue to cook for a couple of minutes, about 2 minutes more.
- Remember not to over cook, as then the paneer barfi will become dense and chewy.
- Then add rose water
- Mix well so that the rose water incorporates in the mixture.
- In tray greased with ghee, spread the paneer barfi mixture evenly.
- Now layer chopped pistachios and cashews on the barfi. Press the dry fruits with your fingers lightly on the barfi.
- Let the paneer barfi cool and then slice them into small squares. You can serve them or refrigerate them.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make paneer barfi recipe
1. In a pan take 200 grams sweetened condensed milk (¾ cup sweetened condensed milk), 125 ml cream (or ½ cup cream) and 100 grams grated paneer.
2. Stir, mix and then keep this pan on a stove top on a low flame.
3. Begin to cook and keep on stirring this mixture.
4. Continue to stir, so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan. The mixture would begin to thicken.
5. When you see the mixture leaving the sides of the pan and clumping together, then add a pinch of saffron and cardamom powder (4 cardamoms, finely powdered in a mortar-pestle). Takes about 10 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on the size & quality of the pan, intensity of the flame.
6. Continue to cook for a couple of minutes, about 2 minutes more. remember Not to overcook, as then the paneer barfi become dense and chewy.
7. Then add 1 tsp rose water or one drop of rose essence.
8. Mix well so that the rose water incorporates in the mixture evenly.
Setting paneer barfi
9. In tray greased with ½ tsp ghee, spread the paneer barfi mixture evenly.
10. Now layer 10-12 chopped pistachios and 10-12 almonds on the paneer barfi. (the pistachios and almonds have been blanched and peeled. Details on ‘how to’ in the recipe section below). Press the dry fruits with your fingers lightly on the barfi.
11. Let the paneer barfi cool and then slice them into squares.
You can Serve paneer barfi immediately or refrigerate them.