Freshly squeezed juice is a flavor revelation I want for all of my readers! Try this easy recipe for making Muskmelon Juice (a.k.a. Cantaloupe Juice or Kharbuja Juice in Hindi) for a sweet, refreshing warm-weather beverage that you’re sure to love.
Table of Contents
About Homemade Muskmelon Juice
Cantaloupe, a variety of Muskmelon is a lovely, sweet fruit with soft flesh and lots of water content. While they are wonderful to eat plain or in a fruit salad, sometimes I prepare juice from them.
Growing up in Mumbai, we used to drink Muskmelon juice (or Kharbuja juice – the Hindi name for muskmelon is Kharbuja) during the hot, sticky summers. It was so delicious, and super easy to prepare – just peel and seed the melon, pop it in a blender, add a touch of sugar or jaggery, and blend.
I’m also a fan of how versatile cantaloupe juice is. You can add a bit of a plant based milk for a creamy beverage that somehow accentuates the sweet flavor of the fruit, or you can add a bit of heat with ginger or chilies and a splash of lime.
While I love the flavor of cantaloupe, you can follow this same method for making juice with Honeydews, too!
In less than 5 minutes, you’ll have a gorgeous drink the color of a perfect sunset. As if that weren’t enough to love, this tasty drink is also a perfect thirst-quencher: it is loaded with vitamins and minerals to replace the electrolytes you sweat out.
How to pick a perfectly ripe Cantaloupe?
First, use your eyes. The skin should be relatively unblemished, with no visible cracks or bruises. If the skin has a greenish undertone, that can be a sign that it is underripe.
Next, hold the melon – it should feel heavy for its size. Heavy fruit means juicy fruit! It should also give in a little if you gently squeeze it. If it is too soft, that means it is overripe; if it is too firm, it is underripe.
Now, sniff the melon. It should smell musky and sweet. If there is no discernible scent, it is likely underripe; if it smells sharp like perfume, there is a chance that it is overripe.
Finally, examine the stem end of the fruit. The stem should not be attached – this is a sign that it was harvested too early. There should be no tears in the skin, and the place where the stem was should have a slight indent.
Cantaloupe Health Benefits
If flavor is not enough to win you over, you’ll be happy to know that there are many health benefits associated with fresh cantaloupe.
- It is high in fibre, with a single serving providing 4% of your daily needs.
- Is good for folks on a diet because it is low in carbs, low on the glycemic index, and is absolutely loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals.
- It has phytonutrients that offer anti-inflammatory responses in the body.
- Reduces the heat in the body because of its high water content.
- Is helpful in controlling blood pressure, and
- Is also an antioxidant.
So there you have it – this cantaloupe juice is both yummy AND healthy!
How to Make Muskmelon Juice
- Rinse the muskmelon in water. Do not miss this step – the craggy skin of muskmelons makes it a particularly good hiding place for bacteria that can cause food-borne illness. Wipe dry with clean kitchen towel.
- Cut it in half, then slice each half into long pieces.
- Remove the peel and separate it from the flesh. Remove the seeds.
TIP: The seeds of the muskmelon can be dried if you have good sunlight and then roasted and added to salads or soups. In India we add them to some of our sweets.
- Chop the flesh and add to a blender. Add a touch of raw sugar or maple syrup to taste. Adding any sweetener is optional. Also, because musk melons are so high in water content, there is no need to add water. Blend till smooth.
- Pour the muskmelon juice in glasses and serve immediately. Feel free to add ice cubes if desired. Enjoy!!
Muskmelon juice is one of my favorite drinks for having on a hot summer day. As far as I am concerned, this tasty beverage is perfectly delicious just as is. However, I love offering ways that you can customize recipes to your own preference. Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Swap cantaloupe for honeydew melon instead, or use a blend of the two.
- Add a knob of peeled ginger or a few slices of green chilies to the blender for a spicy interpretation of this delightfully refreshing beverage. If you do add some heat, I also recommend adding a squeeze of lime – the acidity helps to coax out the most flavor.
- Blend in some plant-based milk for a sweet, creamy, milkshake-like beverage that you’ll love.
- Add freshness with a handful of fresh mint or basil leaves.
If you come up with a musk melon juice recipe that is awesome, let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram so I can see!
Unfortunately, no. Serve the muskmelon juice immediately. Don’t chill or keep in the refrigerator as the taste changes a lot and the juice loses its freshness. Moreover fresh fruit juices are best to consume as soon as they are prepared.
Feel free to add water or plant based milk during blending to thin it out. Note that dairy products like yogurt and milk is incompatible with melons and can cause stomach upsets.
Try honey, maple syrup or date syrup, or jaggery.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Muskmelon Juice (Cantaloupe Juice)
- 1 muskmelon (cantaloupe), any size
- 2 to 3 tablespoons raw sugar or dried sugarcane juice or honey or jaggery or maple syrup, add as required and optional
- Rinse the musk melon in water. Wipe dry the melon with a clean kitchen towel. Cut the melon into half.
- Then slice them into long pieces.
- Remove the peel and separate it from the flesh. Remove the seeds.
- Chop and add in a blender. Add the raw sugar or your preferred sweetener.
- No need to add water. Blend till smooth.
- Pour the cantaloupe juice in glasses and serve immediately.
- You can add ice cubes if desired.
- Instead of raw sugar any other sweetener can also be added like honey or maple syrup.
- If the muskmelon juice is thick, add some water or plant based milk like cashew milk or almond milk.
- Serve the muskmelon juice immediately. Don’t chill or keep in the refrigerator as the taste changes a lot and the juice looses it freshness.
- For some tang add some lemon juice. You can also include a bit of ginger or green chilies for a hint of spice in the cantaloupe juice.
- The seeds of the musk melon can be dried if you have good sunlight and then roasted and added to salads or soups. In India we add them to some of our sweets dishes.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This muskmelon juice recipe post from the blog archives first published in November 2012 has been republished and updated on 18 January 2022.