Tamarind Chutney Recipe with step by step photos – This Easy Tamarind Date Chutney Recipe is what I have been making very often and regularly. I learnt this khajur imli chutney whilst my Home Science classes and have been following this recipe since then.
This sweet tamarind chutney can be had for making chaat items like pani puri, bhel puri, sev puri, aloo tikki and even samosa or pakoras. Its a one stop chutney recipe solution for all your chaat and fried savory snacks.
This tamarind chutney recipe yields about one and half cup of chutney. Make it and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Stays good for about 15-20 days.
If you don’t have dates then there is another variation of this chutney made only with tamarind and dry ginger powder. this variation of the tamarind chutney is called as imli ki chutney or saunth chutney in north india. this chutney is also used while serving samosa, pakoras and with popular chaat snacks.
Tamarind Chutney Recipe below:
tamarind chutney recipe | sweet tamarind chutney recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth or sooth)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt as required.
how to make recipe
- in a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
cook the tamarind and date for about 8 to 9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
- now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook.
- let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
- add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- stir & simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more.
- season with salt. let the chutney mixture cool down.
- in a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
- add some water if required while grinding.
strain the tamarind chutney through a strainer.
store the tamarind chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
1. * if using dry red chili, add it with the tamarind and dates right at the beginning - step 1.
2. please note you can have the consistency of the sweet tamarind chutney as per your choice. simply alter the amount of water and make the tamarind chutney thin or thick as per your requirements.
How to make Tamarind Chutney Recipe for Chaat:
- In a pan, take the seedless tamarind, seedless dates and water. cook for about 8-9 mins on a low flame.
- Add powdered or grated jaggery and stir.
- Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit. Add all the spice powders, salt and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
- The tamarind chutney mixture is ready now. Let it cool.
- In a grinder, pour the entire chutney mixture. Grind the chutney in a grinder till smooth. Add some water if required while grinding. Strain the tamarind chutney through a strainer. Store the sweet tamarind chutney in airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator.
Add the sweet tangy tamarind chutney to the chaat or indian snacks that you make at home. In the pics the tamarind chutney is served as well as added to ragda patties – a popular mumbai street food. you can also serve it with chaat snacks like bread pakora, paneer bread rolls, veg cutlet, bread rolls etc.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe