Sweet Tamarind Dates Chutney Recipe with step by step photos – This Easy Tamarind Dates Chutney Recipe is what I have been making very often and regularly. Low Fat, Gluten-Free and Vegan.
I learnt this khajur imli chutney whilst my Home Science classes and have been following this recipe since then.
This sweet chutney can be had for making chaat items like pani puri, bhel puri, sev puri, aloo tikki and even samosa or pakoras. Its a one-stop chutney recipe solution for all your chaat and fried savory snacks.
This chutney recipe yields about 1.5 cups of chutney. Make it and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Stays good for about 15-20 days.
If you don’t have dates then there is another variation of this chutney made only with tamarind and dry ginger powder. This variation of the chutney is called as Imli ki chutney or saunth chutney in north India. This chutney is also used while serving samosa, pakora and with popular chaat snacks.
How to make Tamarind Dates Chutney
- In a pan, take the seedless tamarind, seedless dates and water. Cook for about 8-9 mins on a low flame.
- Add powdered or grated jaggery and stir.
- Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit. Add all the spice powders, salt and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
- The chutney mixture is ready now. Let it cool.
- In a grinder, pour the entire chutney mixture. Grind the chutney in a grinder till smooth. Add some water if required while grinding. Strain the chutney through a strainer. Store the Sweet Tamarind Dates Chutney in airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator.
Add the sweet tangy dates chutney to the chaat or Indian snacks that you make at home. In the pics the chutney is served as well as added to ragda pattice – a popular Mumbai street food. You can also serve it with chaat snacks like bread pakora, veg cutlet, bread roll, onion pakoda, hara bhara kabab etc.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check:
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt as required.
preparing tamarind dates chutney mixture
- In a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
- Cook the tamarind and date for about 8 to 9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
- Now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook.
- Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
- Add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Stir & simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more.
- Season with salt. Let the chutney mixture cool down.
- In a chutney grinder or small blender, grind this whole mixture till smooth.
- Add some water if required while grinding.
- Strain the chutney through a strainer.
- Store the tamarind dates chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
2. Please note you can have the consistency of the dates chutney as per your choice. Simply alter the amount of water and make the chutney thin or thick as per your requirements.