Matki amti recipe – a step by step post of a flavorful & spiced sprouted matki or moth beans curry.
This is a Light and nutritious matki sprouts curry that goes very well with chapatis and even steamed rice. Not time consuming and makes for a quick lunch or dinner. All you need are some sprouted moth beans and the usual Indian ingredients.
I sprout the moth beans at home and the process takes about 2 to 3 days. After they are sprouted I keep them in the fridge and use them within two days. Whenever I want to make a sprouts curry like this amti or usal, I make it a point to sprout the beans in advance.
To prepare the matki amti, I follow my friends’s recipe. She has been gracious enough to share so many recipes with me. This time when I made this amti, I just forgot an additional step – of crackling the mustard, cumin and curry leaves in the oil. Too many things I was doing at the same time. Its called as multi tasking in modern english and this multi tasking, efficiently made me forget this step. But trust me even without this basic tempering, the amti tastes very good. Did not make much difference to the final dish. So my take – if you want, then skip the tempering or do it. Both ways the amti tastes good.
The amti requires goda masala. So make sure you have goda masala. No substitutions for this masala in this recipe 🙂
If you are looking for more Maharashtrian recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 200 grams matki (sprouted moth beans) or 4 cups of sprouted moth beans - about 1 to 1.25 cups of matki (moth beans) will yield 3.5 to 4 cups of sprouted beans.
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped or ½ heaped cup of roughly chopped onions
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes - about 1.25 cup roughly chopped tomatoes or 100 grams tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic - roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger - roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or ½ teaspoon any other red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 teaspoon homemade goda masala or as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 to 3 cups water or add as required
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- Rinse the matki sprouts in water first once or twice. Drain and keep aside.
- Then chop the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger roughly.
- Blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger to smooth paste in the grinder or blender. No need to add water while grinding as the juice from the tomatoes is enough.
making matki amti
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first.
- Add the cumin and curry leaves. Saute till the cumin sizzles or changes color or becomes fragrant.
- Add the ground onion-tomato-ginger-garlic paste.
- Stir and saute till the oil starts to leave from the sides of the paste.
- Then add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and goda masala.
- Stir and then add the sprouted matki/moth beans.
- Stir and add water. Season with salt. Cover the pan.
- On a low to medium heat simmer the curry till matki beans are cooked.
- If the liquids dry up then add some more water.
- The consistency of matki amti is neither thin not thick. So you can add water accordingly.
- Check the taste and add red chili powder, salt and goda masala if required.
- Lastly, add coriander leaves and mix with the rest of the amti.
- Or you can garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve matki amti hot with rotis, bhakri, poli, paratha or bread. It can also be served with rice.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Stepwise matki sprouts curry or matki amti recipe
1. blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger to smooth paste in the grinder or blender.
2. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first. add the cumin and curry leaves. Saute till the cumin sizzles or changes color or become fragrant. Add the ground onion-tomato-ginger-garlic paste.
3. stir and continue to saute.
4. keep on stirring and sauting till the oil starts to leave from the sides of the paste. the final consistency of the paste below. Takes about 11 mins on a low flame.
5. then add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and goda masala.
6. Stir very well.
7. stir and then add the spouted matki/moth beans.
8. stir and add water. Season with salt. Cover the pan. On low to medium heat simmer the curry till matki beans are cooked. If the liquids dry up then add some more water. The consistency of matki amti is neither thin not thick. So you can add water accordingly. You can also make the amti in a pressure cooker. Just add less amount of water and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles.
9. The matki amti ready to be served. Lastly, add coriander leaves and mix with the rest of the amti or you can garnish the matki amti with coriander leaves.
10. Serve matki amti hot with rotis, bhakri, Poli, paratha or bread. the curry can also be served with steamed rice.