matki amti recipe – a step by step post of a flavorful & spiced sprouted matki or moth beans curry.
this is a light and nutritious matki sprouts curry that goes very well with chapatis and even steamed rice. not time consuming and makes for a quick lunch or dinner. all you need are some sprouted moth beans and the usual indian ingredients.
i sprout the moth beans at home and the process takes about 2 to 3 days. after they are sprouted i keep them in the fridge and use them within two days. whenever i want to make a sprouts curry like this amti or usal, i make it a point to sprout the beans in advance.
to prepare the matki amti, i follow my friends’s recipe. she has been gracious enough to share so many recipes with me. this time when i made this amti, i just forgot an additional step – of crackling the mustard, cumin and curry leaves in the oil. too many things i was doing at the same time. its called as multi tasking in modern english and this multi tasking, efficiently made me forget this step. but trust me even without this basic tempering, the amti tastes very good. did not make much difference to the final dish. so my take – if you want, then skip the tempering or do it. both ways the amti tastes good.
the amti requires goda masala. so make sure you have goda masala. no substitutions for this masala in this recipe 🙂
if you are looking for more maharashtrian recipes then do check:
matki amti recipe below:
matki amti recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR matki amti recipe
- 200 grams matki (sprouted moth beans) Or 4 cups of sprouted moth beans - about 1 to 1.25 cups of matki (moth beans) will yield 3.5 to 4 cups of sprouted beans.
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped Or ½ heaped cup of roughly chopped onions
- 1 large tomato Or 2 medium tomatoes - about 1.25 cup roughly chopped tomatoes or 100 grams tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic (lahsun) - roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 6-7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder (kashmiri mirch powder) Or ½ teaspoon any other red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 to 4 teaspoon homemade goda masala or as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 to 3 cups water or add as required
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE matki amti recipe
preparation for matki amti recipe:
- rinse the matki sprouts in water first once or twice. drain and keep aside.
- then chop the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger roughly.
- blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger to smooth paste in the grinder or blender. no need to add water while grinding as the juice from the tomatoes is enough.
making matki amti recipe:
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. crackle the mustard seeds first.
- add the cumin and curry leaves. saute till the cumin sizzles or changes color or becomes fragrant.
- add the ground onion-tomato-ginger-garlic paste.
- stir and saute till the oil starts to leave from the sides of the paste.
- then add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and goda masala.
- stir and then add the sprouted matki/moth beans.
- stir and add water. season with salt. cover the pan.
- on a low to medium heat simmer the curry till matki beans are cooked.
- if the liquids dry up then add some more water.
- the consistency of matki amti is neither thin not thick. so you can add water accordingly.
- check the taste and add red chili powder, salt and goda masala if required.
- lastly, add coriander leaves and mix with the rest of the amti.
- or you can garnish the matki amti with coriander leaves.
- serve matki amti hot with rotis, bhakri, poli, paratha or bread. matki amti can also be served with rice.
stepwise matki sprouts curry or matki amti recipe:
1. blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger to smooth paste in the grinder or blender.
2. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. crackle the mustard seeds first. add the cumin and curry leaves. saute till the cumin sizzles or changes color or become fragrant. add the ground onion-tomato-ginger-garlic paste.
3. stir and continue to saute.
4. keep on stirring and sauting till the oil starts to leave from the sides of the paste. the final consistency of the paste below. takes about 11 mins on a low flame.
5. then add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and goda masala.
6. stir very well.
7. stir and then add the spouted matki/moth beans.
8. stir and add water. season with salt. cover the pan. on low to medium heat simmer the curry till matki beans are cooked. if the liquids dry up then add some more water. the consistency of matki amti is neither thin not thick. so you can add water accordingly. you can also make the amti in a pressure cooker. just add less amount of water and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles.
9. the matki amti ready to be served. lastly, add coriander leaves and mix with the rest of the amti or you can garnish the matki amti with coriander leaves.