paneer matar toast sandwich recipe with step by step photos – a simple and healthy toast sandwich recipe made with cottage cheese, matar (green peas) and spices. this recipe makes for an easy brunch or snack.
sharing my mom’s recipe, which i use often to make these sandwiches. in fact you can even make these for kid parties or for high tea parties. since this mutter paneer toast will be a good finger food snack. another sandwich recipe you can make with paneer is this paneer sandwich recipe.
the paneer mutter toast has a balance of all the flavors. the mild heat & spice coming from the green chilies and ginger, sweetness from the onions and the ‘chatpata’ taste of chaat masala. further spice powders like roasted cumin powder and pepper powder are also added to bring in more flavors and taste in the sandwich.
to make these sandwiches. you need to boil or steam the green peas before. if you plan to make for breakfast, then do steam the green peas a night before and then refrigerate. then in the morning, you just need to saute the ingredients, assemble and prepare the sandwiches. onion, paneer and green peas are sauteed in butter along with some spices. then assemble and toast the sandwiches.
serve mutter paneer toast with mint chutney or coriander chutney or tomato sauce accompanied with potato wafers or with a hot cup of tea/coffee. even though toast sandwiches made with white bread tastes good, for health reasons i always use atta bread or whole wheat bread. either bake your own bread or buy bread without any preservatives. since whole wheat bread is used, these sandwiches are filling.
i have toasted the sandwich in an electric sandwich maker. but you can also grill them as some folks prefer that way or toast them in a hand held stove top toaster.
few more sandwich recipes for you!
paneer matar toast sandwich
INGREDIENTS FOR paneer matar toast sandwich
for sandwich stuffing
- 1.5 tablespoon butter or olive oil or sunflower oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion or 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger (adrak), finely chopped
- ½ cup green peas (matar), boiled or steamed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper or add as per taste
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- 1 teaspoon chat masala powder
- 1 cup chopped paneer cubes or 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese) chopped in small cubes
- salt as required
- 10 to 12 slices of whole wheat bread or brown bread or white bread or multi grain bread
- butter to apply on toast (optional)
HOW TO MAKE paneer matar toast sandwich
making sandwich filling
- heat butter or oil in a pan.
- then add the finely chopped onions. also add the chopped ginger.
- saute till the onions becomes translucent.
- now add the chopped green chilies and stir again.
- sprinkle salt and stir again.
- now add the 1/2 cup of boiled green peas. stir well.
- then add coriander powder, cumin powder and pepper powder. also add 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
- stir and cook for another 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
- add chopped paneer cubes.
- sprinkle chaat masala.
- stir all and cook for another 1 to 2 mins on a low flame.
- switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down. otherwise the toast sandwich would get soggy.
making paneer toast sandwiches
- slice the edges of the bread, this step is optional.
- apply some butter over the bread. i have skipped this process as we had used butter while frying the matar-paneer mixture. so it's optional. spread the paneer-matar filling on the bread slices.
- top with another bread. repeat the same with other bread slices.
- place in a preheated toaster or grill. you can also toast these sandwiches in a hand held stove top toaster.
- toast the sandwiches till crisp and golden.
- slice the paneer toast and serve them hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- you could toast the sandwich on an electric sandwich maker or toast them in a hand held stove top toaster.
- for the filling use any veggies you like mushrooms, cabbage, capsicum etc along with the other ingredients for the recipe.
- spice powders and green chilies can be adjusted as per your taste. if making for small kids then you can reduce the spice powders, ginger and skip the green chilies.
- instead of paneer you can also use tofu.
step by step paneer matar toast sandwich
1. heat 1.5 tablespoon butter or oil in a pan. you can also use sunflower oil or olive oil.
2. let the butter melt.
3. then add the ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
4. also add 1 teaspoon chopped ginger.
5. saute onion until they become translucent.
6. now add the 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped. you can use green chilies, which are not spicy or you can skip adding them if you want.
7. stir well.
8. sprinkle salt as per taste.
9. stir again.
11. mix well.
12. add 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder and ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder. also add 3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
13. stir and cook the green peas for another 2 to 3 minutes.
14. add 1 cup of chopped paneer cubes. you can also crumble the paneer and then add.
15. sprinkle 1 teaspoon chaat masala.
16. stir and mix very well. saute for further 1 to 2 minutes.
17. switch off the gas and allow the mixture to cool down. otherwise the toast sandwiches would get soggy. check the seasonings and add salt or other spices if required.
18. slice the edges of the bread. this is optional. its best to use whole wheat bread or multi grain bread to make the sandwich more healthy.
19. apply some butter over the bread. i have skipped this process as we had used butter while frying the matar-paneer mixture, so it’s optional. spread the paneer-matar filling on the bread slices.
20. top with another bread slice. repeat the same with other bread slices.
21. place in a preheated toaster or grill. you can also toast these sandwiches in a hand held stove top toaster.
22. toast the sandwiches till crisp and golden.
23. spread some butter over the sandwich if you want. again this is optional. slice the toast sandwiches. serve paneer matar toast hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup. i served with mint coriander chutney.