gujarati dal recipe with step by step photos – easy to make, mildly sweet and sour gujarati dal recipe.
dal is a staple at home. so i often try various dal recipes. this gujarati dal is one of those dal recipes that i make many times. give us a bowl of hot steaming dal with some steamed rice and we don’t need anything else 🙂
like most dal recipes, this gujarati dal is also easy. the consistency of this dal is thin and has mild sweet & sour taste. sweetness comes from jaggery and sourness comes from kokums (garcinia indica). kokums are not easily available everywhere, so i suggest to add lime juice or tamarind pulp in the dal.
both the sweetness and sourness can be adjusted as per your taste. this recipe does not have peanuts. sometimes i add them and sometimes i don’t. with or without peanuts, the dal always tastes good. few more gujarati dal recipes in the blog are khatti meethi dal, trevti dal and surati dal.
this no onion no garlic gujarati dal is best served with steamed rice. accompany a vegetable dish or salad by the side.
if you are looking for more dal recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR gujarati dal
for pressure cooking dal
- ¾ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
other ingredients for gujarati dal
- 1 small tomato chopped (optional)
- 1 or 2 green chilies + ½ inch ginger - crushed in a mortar pestle to a paste Or about 1 teaspoon ginger green chili paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 3 to 4 dried kokums * check notes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water or add as required
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon organic powdered jaggery powder or grated jaggery or add as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
for tempering gujarati dal
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon sabut methi (fenugreek seeds)
- 2 to 3 small dry red chilies Or 2 regular to large dry red chili - halved and deseeded or kept whole
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 cloves (lavang)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
HOW TO MAKE gujarati dal
pressure cooking dal
- first pick the arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils for stones etc.
- then rinse the lentils thoroughly in running water for 4-5 times.
- add the rinsed dal in a pressure cooker. add water. pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium to high flame.
- the lentils have to be cooked completely.
- mash the dal very well with a wired whisk or with a spoon. the lentils should be mashed very well.
making gujarati dal
- add green chili-ginger paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, jaggery, salt, tomato(optional) and kokums. stir.
- add water. stir again and keep the dal back on the stove top.
- bring the dal to a simmer on a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
for tempering gujarati dal
- heat oil or ghee in a small pan. crackle mustard seeds first and then add cumin.
- add the dry red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves, asafoetida and fenugreek seeds.
- stir and fry for some seconds till the red chilies change color.
- pour this tempering on the simmering dal. switch off the flame.
- add coriander leaves. finally stir the dal.
- serve gujarati dal with steamed rice.
how to make gujarati dal recipe
1. take ¾ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils). first pick the arhar dal for stones etc. then rinse the lentils thoroughly in running water for 4-5 times.
2. add the rinsed dal in a pressure cooker.
3. add 2 to 2.5 cups water.
4. pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium to high flame.
5. the lentils have to be cooked completely.
making gujarati dal
6. mash the dal very well with a wired whisk or with a spoon.
7. the lentils should be mashed very well.
8. add green chili-ginger paste, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, 1.5 to 2 tbsp jaggery, salt as required, 3 to 4 dried kokums and 1 small sized chopped tomatoes (optional).
10. add 1.5 to 2 cups water.
11. stir again and keep the dal back on the stove top.
12. bring the dal to a simmer on a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
tempering for gujarati dal
13. for the tempering, heat 2 tbsp oil or ghee in a small pan. crackle ½ tsp mustard seeds first and then add ½ tsp cumin.
14. add 2 to 3 small dry red chilies, 3 to 4 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 8 to 10 curry leaves, a generous pinch of asafoetida and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds. stir and fry for some seconds till the red chilies change color.
15. pour this tempering on the simmering dal.
16. switch off the flame.
17. add 1 tbsp coriander leaves.
18. stir finally.
serve gujarati dal with steamed rice.