gujarati dal recipe with step by step photos – easy to make, mildly sweet and sour gujarati dal recipe. no onion no garlic and a vegan dish.
dal is a staple at home. so i often try various dal recipes. this gujarati dal is one of those dal recipes that i make many times. give us a bowl of hot steaming dal with some steamed rice and we don’t need anything else 🙂
like most dal recipes, this gujarati dal is also easy. the consistency of this dal is thin and has mild sweet & sour taste. sweetness comes from jaggery and sourness comes from kokums (garcinia indica). kokums are not easily available everywhere, so i suggest to add lime juice or tamarind pulp in the dal.
both the sweetness and sourness can be adjusted as per your taste. this recipe does not have peanuts. sometimes i add them and sometimes i don’t. with or without peanuts, the dal always tastes good. few more gujarati dal recipes on the blog are:
this gujarati dal is best served with steamed rice. accompany a vegetable dish or salad by the side.
how to make gujarati dal
1. take ¾ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils). first pick the arhar dal for stones etc. then rinse the lentils thoroughly in running water for 4-5 times.
2. add the rinsed dal in a pressure cooker.
3. add 2 to 2.5 cups water.
4. pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium to high flame.
5. the lentils have to be cooked completely.
6. mash the dal very well with a wired whisk or with a spoon.
7. the lentils should be mashed very well.
8. add green chili-ginger paste, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, 1.5 to 2 tbsp jaggery, salt as required, 3 to 4 dried kokums and 1 small sized chopped tomatoes (optional).
10. add 1.5 to 2 cups water.
11. stir again and keep the dal back on the stovetop.
12. bring the dal to a simmer on a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
tempering for gujarati dal
13. for the tempering, heat 2 tbsp oil or ghee in a small pan. crackle ½ tsp mustard seeds first and then add ½ tsp cumin.
14. add 2 to 3 small dry red chilies, 3 to 4 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 8 to 10 curry leaves, a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing) and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds. stir and fry for some seconds till the red chilies change color.
15. pour this tempering on the simmering dal.
16. switch off the flame.
17. add 1 tbsp coriander leaves.
18. stir finally.
serve gujarati dal with steamed rice.
more dal recipes
for pressure cooking lentils
- ¾ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 1 small tomato chopped (optional)
- 1 or 2 green chilies + ½ inch ginger - crushed in a mortar pestle to a paste Or about 1 teaspoon ginger green chili paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 to 4 dried kokums * check notes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water or add as required
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon organic powdered jaggery powder or grated jaggery or add as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon sabut methi (fenugreek seeds)
- 2 to 3 small dry red chilies Or 2 regular to large dry red chili - halved and deseeded or kept whole
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
pressure cooking lentils
- first pick the arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils for stones etc.
- then rinse the lentils thoroughly in running water for 4-5 times.
- add the rinsed dal in a pressure cooker. add water. pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium to high flame.
- the lentils have to be cooked completely.
- mash the dal very well with a wired whisk or with a spoon. the lentils should be mashed very well.
making gujarati dal
- add green chili-ginger paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, jaggery, salt, tomato(optional) and kokums. stir.
- add water. stir again and keep the dal back on the stove top.
- bring the dal to a simmer on a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
for tempering gujarati dal
- heat oil or ghee in a small pan. crackle mustard seeds first and then add cumin.
- add the dry red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves, asafoetida and fenugreek seeds.
- stir and fry for some seconds till the red chilies change color.
- pour this tempering on the simmering dal. switch off the flame.
- add coriander leaves. finally stir the dal.
- serve gujarati dal with steamed rice.