dhingri dolma or dingri dolma recipe with step by step pics – mildly spiced semi dry awadhi curry recipe made with mushrooms and paneer.
ok. i don’t know what is the correct name dhingri or dingri but this recipe is amazing and a regular one i make now. its a really good dish of mushroom and paneer in a lightly spiced onion-tomato base. the recipe is from the awadhi cuisine and awadhi cuisine comes from the city of lucknow.
few popular recipes from awadhi cuisine are:
i had heard and seen the unique name of this recipe in the menu of many awadhi restaurants. little did I know then, that this recipe was made from mushrooms and paneer. later i read about this recipe whilst in college, and came to know that this recipe is made from mushrooms and paneer.
never tried it then and even later. i never even searched for this recipe on the internet as it faded from my memory. recently, i again came across this recipe in jiggs kalra’s book “prashad – cooking with indian masters” and decided to try it out.
it was amazingly simple, easy and quick to make and tasted great. from the time i tried this recipe, i make it many times now and thus have also updated the post with better pics. in fact the recipe is so quick, that when i have mushrooms and paneer in the refrigerator, i make this recipe. i just need to pair it with chapatis. you can also use tofu instead of paneer. i have adapted this dhingri dolma recipe to make this delicious mushroom paneer gravy recipe.
the recipe calls for one unique spice – shah jeera or shahi jeera, also known in english as caraway seeds. these are slightly thinner and darker than the regular cumin seeds and have a different unique aroma than regular cumin seeds. they are sweeter than regular cumin seeds. shah jeera is quite often used in mughlai cuisine. i add them to veg biryani, veg pulao and in mughlai recipes like paneer korma or kaju khoya,
in this colorful recipe, both mushrooms and paneer are sauteed with shah jeera, onion and tomatoes along with a few more herbs and spices.
serve dhingri dolma with rotis, naan, parathas or a veg pulao or jeera rice. you can also serve this delectable mushroom paneer curry with bread.
if you are looking for more paneer recipes then do check:
dhingri dolma recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR dhingri dolma recipe
- 250 grams paneer, crumbled or grated
- 200 grams white button mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, cut in 1 cm cubes or ¾ cup tomato cubes
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed in mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or white pepper powder (kali mirch powder or safed mirch powder)
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee or oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ inch ginger, julienne
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE dhingri dolma recipe
preparation for dhingri dolma recipe
- rinse or wipe 250 grams of button mushrooms. slice or chop the mushrooms.
- also chop the onions and cut the tomatoes in cubes.
- crush the ginger and garlic to a paste in a mortar-pestle.
- grate the paneer or you can crumble it also.
making dhingri dolma
- melt butter or ghee in a pan. you can also use oil instead of butter.
- add the shah jeera/caraway seeds and saute till they splutter.
- then add onions and saute them till they turn light brown.
- next add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of the paste goes away.
- now add the tomatoes.
- then add the spice powders - 1/4 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp black pepper or white pepper powder.
- stir very well and saute till the tomatoes soften.
- now add the chopped mushrooms. stir them well and begin to saute them.
- the mushrooms would first begin to release water. saute on a low to medium flame stirring ocassionally, till the all the water dries up.
- a light browning of the mushrooms along the edges is fine.
- now add the grated or crumbled paneer.
- sprinkle garam masala powder and salt.
- stir and mix the paneer with the rest of the ingredients. simmer for 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
- switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves and ginger julienne. stir well.
- serve dhingri dolma with rotis, naan or chapatis. you can also serve with bread.
how to make dhingri dolma recipe
1. firstly prep up by rinsing or wiping 250 grams of button mushrooms. slice or chop the mushrooms. also chop 1 medium onion and cut 1 large tomato in 1 cm cubes. crush ½ inch ginger and 3 to 4 garlic to a paste in a mortar-pestle.
2. crumble 200 grams of paneer and keep aside. you can also grate the paneer.
3. melt 2 tbsp butter or ghee in a pan. you can also use 2 tbsp oil instead of butter.
4. add ½ tsp shah jeera/caraway seeds and saute till they splutter.
5. then add onions.
6. saute the onions till they turn light brown.
7. next add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of the paste goes away.
8. now add the tomatoes.
9. then add the spice powders – ¼ tsp red chili powder and ½ tsp black pepper or white pepper powder.
10. stir very well and saute till the tomatoes soften.
11. now add the sliced or chopped mushrooms.
12. stir well.
13. begin to saute them on a low to medium flame, stirring occasionally .
14. the mushrooms would first begin to release water.
15. saute till all the water dries up. in the below pic, there is still some water left. so continue to saute till there is no water in the pan.
16. a light browning of the mushrooms along the edges is also fine.
17. now add the grated or crumbled paneer.
17. sprinkle ¼ tsp garam masala powder and salt as per taste.
18. stir and mix the paneer with the rest of the ingredients. simmer for 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
19. switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves & ginger julienne.
20. stir well.
21. serve dhingri dolma with rotis, naan, parathas, tandoori rotis or chapatis. you can also serve with bread.