Pasta salad recipe – yes pasta in salads, this is how at home we like our pastas to be. the soft cooked pasta with crunchy veggies is always looked forward when I make pasta or Salad.
This pasta salad is jamie oliver’s recipe and he calls it the Best pasta salad. I agree. It is one of the Best pasta salads I have made and served. Have adapted the recipe from Jamie oliver’s website.
Get My Secrets to Great Indian Food
This is the first jamie oliver recipe, I tried and it was so good that now I have decided to buy jamie oliver’s cookbooks. I am an avid reader of books (cooking & philosophical) and just one recipe is enough to convince me that the other recipes will also be good.
When I was reading the recipe, what I liked the most was boiling the garlic with pasta and then mashing it and adding to the dressing. The mashed garlic does add a lot of flavor to the pasta.
I made some adaptations like adding balsamic vinegar and using some more herbs. I did not have ingredients like red & yellow cherry tomatoes, so added regular tomatoes.
If possible use smaller shell shaped pasta. I had whole wheat pasta rigatoni (tube shaped pasta) and I felt that they were a bit large for the salad…. But nobody complained thankfully. since I wanted more crunch, I added some onions & lastly garnished the pasta with pomegranate arils.
Few more Pasta recipes on the blog are:
If you have fresh herbs, then use those and if you have dry herbs, then add that 🙂
So if you love pasta and if you love salads, then do make this pasta salad recipe. Its a simple and easy pasta salad recipe and makes for a quick brunch or meals in between.
The pasta salad can also be served as a starter (warm or chilled) when you prepare an Italian menu.
- 125 grams shell shaped pasta or pasta rigatoni (whole wheat or all purpose flour pasta)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1 medium size tomato (optional)
- 1 small cucumber (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon dry basil or ¼ cup chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ or 1 tablespoon garlic chives (hara lahsun)
- 9 to 10 pitted black olives, sliced
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required (kali mirch powder)
cooking pasta for pasta salad
- Heat enough water with some salt.
- When the water starts boiling, add the pasta along with the garlic clove
- Cook the pasta till they are done. Drain.
- To avoid the pasta from sticking to each other, add some oil and stir gently.
making pasta salad
- In a salad bowl, add all the veggies and herbs. Add the pasta and toss.
- Take the cooked garlic clove and mash it in a mortar & pestle.
- To this add the olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Stir the seasoning and add it to the pasta.
- Toss and serve pasta salad garnished with some pomegranate arils.