pasta salad recipe – yes pasta in salads, this is how at home we like our pastas to be. the soft cooked pasta with crunchy veggies is always looked forward when i make pasta or salads.
this pasta salad is jamie oliver’s recipe and he calls it the best pasta salad. i agree. it is one of the best pasta salads I have made and served. have adapted the recipe from jamie oliver’s website.
this is the first jamie oliver recipe, i tried and it was so good that now i have decided to buy jamie oliver’s cookbooks. i am an avid reader of books (cooking & philosophical) and just one recipe is enough to convince me that the other recipes will also be good.
when i was reading the recipe, what i liked the most was boiling the garlic with pasta and then mashing it and adding to the dressing. the mashed garlic does add a lot of flavor to the pasta.
i made some adaptations like adding balsamic vinegar and using some more herbs. i did not have ingredients like red & yellow cherry tomatoes, so added regular tomatoes.
if possible use smaller shell shaped pasta. i had whole wheat pasta rigatoni (tube shaped pasta) and i felt that they were a bit large for the salad…. but nobody complained thankfully. since i wanted more crunch, i added some onions & lastly garnished the pasta with pomegranate arils.
few more similar recipes on the blog are:
- creamy mushroom pasta
- macaroni and cheese
- vegetable pizza
- pasta in red sauce
- vegetable pasta in white sauce recipe
if you have fresh herbs, then use those and if you have dry herbs, then add that 🙂
so if you love pasta and if you love salads, then do make this pasta salad recipe. its a simple and easy pasta salad recipe and makes for a quick brunch or meals in between.
the pasta salad can also be served as a starter (warm or chilled) when you prepare an italian menu.
pasta salad recipe below:
pasta salad recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 125 grams shell shaped pasta or pasta rigatoni (whole wheat or all purpose flour pasta)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1 medium size tomato (optional)
- 1 small cucumber (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon dry basil OR ¼ cup chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ or 1 tablespoon garlic chives (hara lahsun)
- 9 to 10 pitted black olives, sliced
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required (kali mirch powder)
how to make recipe
- heat enough water with some salt.
- when the water starts boiling, add the pasta along with the garlic clove
- cook the pasta till they are done. drain.
- to avoid the pasta from sticking to each other, add some oil and stir gently.
- in a salad bowl, add all the veggies and herbs. add the pasta and toss.
- take the cooked garlic clove and mash it in a mortar & pestle.
- to this add the olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- stir the seasoning and add it to the pasta.
- toss and serve pasta salad garnished with some pomegranate arils.
you can increase or decrease the quantity of herbs as per your preference.