sweet potato halwa recipe with step by step photos – shakarkandi halwa is an easy and quick dessert you can make for any occasion. this halwa can be had during fasting, festive occasion or anytime when you want to have something sweet and yet healthy.
usually sweet potatoes or shakarkandi are used in making chaat or are popular during the fasting days. i always add them in the fruit chaat as the boiled sweet potatoes gives a nice sweet taste to the chaat.
the chaat made from sweet potatoes are also served outside schools and colleges in north india as a popular street food.
the halwa can be prepared in two ways – either by grating the sweet potatoes or by cooking them first and then mashing. i prefer the cooked version. this halwa is similar to making potato halwa.
this is a simple recipe and apart from stirring the halwa, there is not much effort this halwa recipe is another way you can eat this awesome and nutritious root veggie which is very rich in vitamin A.
sweet potato halwa recipe details below:
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes/shakarkandi
- 4 tbsp sugar or as required (depends on the sweetness of the sweet potatoes)
- 7-8 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3-4 cardamoms, crushed or powdered or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- a pinch of saffron
- 10-12 cashews, halved or chopped or kept whole
- boil the sweet potatoes first.
- when they become warm, peel and mash them.
- heat oil or ghee in a kadai or pan.
- first fry the cashews.
- remove when they become golden and keep aside.
- in the same oil, add the mashed sweet potatoes.
- stir well and saute for 3-4 mins.
- add sugar and saute for 4-5 mins.
- now add crushed cardamom and stir
- add saffron and stir.
- keep on stirring and cooking the halwa till oil or ghee starts to leave the sides of halwa. this will take approx 10-12 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- lastly add the fried cashew nuts and stir again.
- serve sweet potato halwa hot, warm or cold.
step by step recipe of making sweet potato halwa:
1. boil the sweet potatoes or shakarkandi first. when they become warm, peel and mash them.
2. heat oil or ghee. first fry the cashews. remove when the are golden and keep aside.
3. in the same oil, add the mashed sweet potatoes. stir well and saute for 3-4 mins.
4. add sugar.
5. after 4-5 minutes, add crushed cardamom and stir.
6. add saffron and stir.
7. keep on stirring and cooking the sweet potato halwa till the oil or ghee starts to leave the sides of halwa. this will take approx 10-12 minutes. the whole mixture would sort of come together and clamp. the color of the halwa will also change. lastly add the fried cashew nuts and stir. the texture of the halwa would resemble sooji (semolina) halwa, but the taste is very different.
serve sweet potato halwa hot, warm or cold.