sweet potato halwa recipe with step by step photos – shakarkandi halwa is an easy and quick dessert you can make for any occasion. this halwa can be had during fasting, festive occasion or anytime when you want to have something sweet and yet healthy.
usually sweet potatoes or shakarkandi are used in making chaat or are popular during the fasting days. i always add them in the fruit chaat as the boiled sweet potatoes gives a nice sweet taste to the chaat. the sweet potato chaat is also served outside schools and colleges in north india as a popular street food.
the halwa can be prepared in two ways – either by grating the sweet potatoes or by cooking them first and then mashing. i prefer the cooked version. this halwa is similar to making potato halwa.
this is a simple recipe and apart from stirring the halwa, there is not much effort 🙂 this halwa recipe is another way you can eat this awesome and nutritious root veggie which is very rich in vitamin A.
shakarkandi or sweet potato halwa recipe below:
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (shakarkandi)
- 4 tablespoon sugar or as required, depends on the sweetness of the sweet potatoes
- 7 to 8 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms, crushed or powdered Or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- 10 to 12 cashews halved or chopped or kept whole (kaju)
- boil the sweet potatoes (shakarkandi) first.
- when they become warm, peel and mash them.
- heat oil or ghee in a kadai or pan.
- first fry the cashews.
- remove when they become golden and keep aside.
- in the same oil, add the mashed sweet potatoes.
- stir well and saute for 3-4 mins.
- add sugar and saute for 4-5 mins.
- now add crushed cardamom and stir
- add saffron and stir.
- keep on stirring and cooking the halwa till oil or ghee starts to leave the sides of halwa. this will take approx 10-12 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- lastly add the fried cashew nuts and stir again.
- serve sweet potato halwa hot, warm or cold.
i have used oil in making the halwa, however you can use ghee too.
stepwise shakarkandi or sweet potato halwa recipe:
1. boil 2 medium to large sweet potatoes/shakarkandi first. when they become warm, peel and mash them.
2. heat 7-8 tbsp oil or ghee. first fry 10-12 cashews. remove when the are golden and keep aside.
3. in the same oil, add the mashed sweet potatoes. stir well and saute for 3-4 mins.
4. add 4 tbsp sugar or as required (depends on the sweetness of the sweet potatoes).
5. after 4-5 minutes, add 3-4 crushed green cardamoms and stir.
6. add a pinch of saffron and stir.
7. keep on stirring and cooking the sweet potato halwa till the oil or ghee starts to leave the sides of halwa. this will take approx 10-12 minutes. the whole mixture would sort of come together and clamp. the color of the halwa will also change. lastly add the fried cashew nuts and stir. the texture of the halwa would resemble sooji (semolina) halwa, but the taste is very different.
serve sweet potato halwa hot, warm or cold.