sweet corn soup recipe – this is one soup which i have been making since ages right from my teens.
this sweet corn soup recipe was always requested by my parents and sis when they wanted me to cook indo-chinese food for them. the other recipes in the indo-chinese category that i would cook often were veg manchurian, chilli paneer, mushroom manchurian & veg fried rice.
so during the vacations when the cooking fairy would inspire me, i would end up cooking a lot of stuff apart from indo chinese recipes.
for this sweet corn soup soup, you can use the american sweet corn or the regular corn. since i have made the soup with both of them, i can assure you both ways they taste good.
since this is my original recipe and i have been making this soup for many years, i haven’t much tweaked or adapted the recipe. i keep the flavorings in the soup minimal so that the taste of the corn comes through the soup. thats what you want to taste in a corn soup right?
i used to make this sweet corn soup with half-half of milk and water. the milk would also contribute to the sweetness in the soup. now i just make the soup with water. i never have vegetable stock ready at home, so my soups are made with water or nut milks. if you have veg stock, then you can add them to the soup.
sometimes i add spring onions to the soup. in the recipe view below i have mentioned the details of adding spring onions. again grated or finely chopped veggies can also be added. another ingredient which i never use while cooking indo chinese food is ajinomoto.
for making the sweet corn soup, i do not use cream styled sweet corn from the tins, as i just don’t like the taste nor texture. i have had the cream styled corn soup versions in restaurants and i hated it. its always best to use fresh veggies when you cook instead of using tinned stuff.
use freshly ground pepper as the aroma from freshly ground or crushed pepper adds a lot of depth to this simple sweet corn soup.
lets begin step by step sweet corn soup recipe:
1: first boil or steam the corn cobs. this can be done in a pan, steamer or pressure cooker. drain and let the corn cobs cool.
2: with a knife, scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
3: blend the corn kernels with some water in a blender till smooth. keep aside a few corn kernels.
4: heat oil or butter in a pan. add the chopped celery and saute for a minute till the flavors of the celery comes through in the oil. if using spring onions/scallions, then add now. saute the spring onions till they turn translucent.
5: add the corn paste and stir.
6: pour water or veg stock and stir again.
7: let the soup come to a boil. add freshly ground pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels.
8: simmer for a few minutes.
9: lastly add corn flour paste. this is done to thicken the sweet corn soup. simmer for a couple of minutes till the soup thickens and corn flour gets cooked.
10: check the seasonings. pour the soup in soup bowls and serve sweet corn soup hot garnished with chopped celery or scallion/spring onion greens or ground black pepper.
sweet corn soup recipe below:
- 1 medium sized corn cob
- ½ tsp freshly ground or crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped celery, skip if you don't have celery
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions/scallions or shallots
- 1 tbsp oil (olive or sunflower) or butter
- 2 cups water or 1 cup warm milk + 1 cup water or 2 cups veg stock
- ½ tbsp corn starch/corn flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- salt as required
- boil the corn cobs. scrape the corn kernels from the cob. reserve some of the corn kernels aside, about 2 tbsp.
- blend the remaining corn kernels with some water to a smooth paste.
- heat oil or butter in a pan. saute the spring onions if using them till they become transparent.
- add the chopped celery and saute for a minute. add the corn paste and stir. add water or milk+water or veg stock. stir and allow the soup to come to a boil.
- now add the black pepper & salt & the remaining corn kernels. stir & simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- add the corn flour paste. stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes more till the soup thickens and the corn flour gets cooked.
- check the seasoning and serve hot sweet corn soup.
- garnish sweet corn soup with some chopped celery or spring onions greens.
- the sweet corn soup goes very well with some garlic or toasted bread.