red coconut chutney recipe with step by step photos. here’s a slightly hot version of red chilli coconut chutney. like most of the coconut chutneys, this chutney pairs well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. also good with starters like pakoras.
i have kept the chutney mildly spiced and hot by using less red chilies. addition of tamarind also tones down the hotness and makes the chutney slightly sour. if you want a more reddish color in the chutney, then you can add kashmiri red chilies. they are not so hot and give a good natural red coloring to the food.
this red chilli chutney gets the punch when it is tempered. so please temper the chutney. best to have the chutney immediately or freeze the chutney and consume within 1-2 days. you can also check this similar recipe of kerala style red coconut chutney.
there are many variations of coconut chutney and few of these coconut chutney recipes on my blog are:
spicy coconut chutney
coconut chutney for idli, dosa
hotel style coconut chutney
coconut curd chutney recipe
sesame coconut chutney
coconut chutney with tempering
red coconut chutney recipe card below:
- ½ cup grated coconut fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 1 or 2 dry red chilis (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun), chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind (imli)
- salt as required
- ½ cup water for grinding or as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
take ½ cup grated coconut, ¼ cup roasted chana dal, 1 to 2 dry red chilies, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, chopped 2 to 3 garlic, 1 teaspoon tamarind, salt in a blender jar.
grind all the ingredients with ½ cup water or as required, till smooth.
take the coconut chutney in a bowl.
heat oil in a small pan.
add the mustard seeds first and let them pop.
now add cumin seeds and fry them.
add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
fry for some seconds and add to the coconut chutney
mix well and serve the red coconut chutney with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.
how to make red coconut chutney recipe:
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making red coconut chutney.
2. in a blender jar, take ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen) and ¼ cup roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram).
3. next add 2 to 3 chopped garlic cloves (lahsun), 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak), 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) and 1 teaspoon tamarind (imli).
4. also add salt as required.
5. lastly add water as required. i have added ½ cup water but you can add as per consistency required in the coconut chutney.
6. grind the chutney till smooth.
7. take the chutney in a heat proof bowl.
8. keep all the ingredients ready for preparing tempering for the coconut chutney.
9. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan. add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai) first and let them pop.
10. now add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and fry them.
11. add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta).
12. fry them for some seconds.
13. pour the hot tempering over the coconut chutney.