i have kept the chutney mildly spiced and hot by using less red chilies. addition of tamarind also tones down the hotness and makes the chutney slightly sour. if you want a more reddish color in the chutney, then you can add kashmiri red chilies. they are not so hot and give a good natural red coloring to the food.
this red chilli chutney gets the punch when it is tempered. so please temper the chutney. best to have the chutney immediately or freeze the chutney and consume within 1-2 days.
there are many variations of coconut chutney and few of these coconut chutney recipes from my blog are:
coconut chutney for idli, dosa
hotel style coconut chutney
coconut curd chutney recipe
sesame coconut chutney
coconut chutney with tempering
red chilli coconut chutney recipe below:
- ½ cup grated coconut fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal
- 1 or 2 dry red chilis
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp tamarind
- salt as required
- water for grinding
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- grind all the ingredients listed for the chutney above with some water.
- take the chutney in a bowl.
- heat oil in a small pan.
- add the mustard seeds first and let them pop.
- now add cumin and fry them.
- add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- fry for some seconds and add to the chutney
- mix well and serve the red coconut chutney with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.