Red chilli chutney recipe with step by step photos. Here’s A slightly hot version of red chilli chutney Made with red chillies, fresh coconut and spices. This red chilli chutney pairs well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. Also good with starters like pakora, mysore bonda, uttapam.
I have kept the chutney mildly spiced and hot by using less red chillies. However for a more spicy taste, you can increase the number of red chillies.
Addition of tamarind also tones down the hotness and makes the chutney slightly sour. If you want a more reddish color in the chutney, then you can add Kashmiri red chillies. They are not so hot and give a good natural red coloring to the food.
This red chili chutney gets the punch when it is tempered. So please temper the chutney. Best to have the chutney immediately or freeze the chutney and consume within 1-2 days. You can also check this similar recipe of Kerala style red coconut chutney.
How to make red chilli chutney
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making red chilli chutney.
2. In a blender jar, take ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen) and ¼ cup roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram). You can skip the roasted bengal gram if you don’t have it. If skipping, then add less water while grinding.
3. Next add 2 to 3 chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) and 1 teaspoon tamarind (imli). You can increase the number of red chillies for a more spicy taste.
4. Also add salt as required.
5. Lastly add water as required. I have added ½ cup water but you can add as per consistency required in the red chilli chutney.
6. Grind the chutney till smooth.
7. Take the red chilli chutney in a heatproof bowl.
Tempering for red chilli chutney
8. Keep all the ingredients ready to prepare tempering for the chutney.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds first and let them pop.
10. Now add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and fry them.
11. Add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta).
12. Fry them for a few seconds.
13. Pour the hot tempering over the red chilli chutney.
14. Mix well and Serve the red chilli coconut chutney with snacks like rava idli or masala dosa or rava dosa or oats idli or mysore bonda or uttapam or medu vada.
More Chutney recipes
red chilli chutney
main ingredients for red chilli chutney
- ½ cup grated coconut fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 1 or 2 dry red chilis
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind
- salt as required
- ½ cup water for grinding or as required
for tempering the chutney
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Take ½ cup grated coconut, ¼ cup roasted chana dal, 1 to 2 dry red chilies, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, chopped 2 to 3 garlic, 1 teaspoon tamarind, salt in a blender jar.
- Grind all the ingredients with ½ cup water or as required, till smooth.
- Take the coconut chutney in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add the mustard seeds first and let them pop.
- Now add cumin seeds and fry them.
- Add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Fry for a few seconds and add to the red chilli chutney
- Mix well and serve the red chilli coconut chutney with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.