mushroom dum biryani recipe with step by step photos – biryani is a traditional muslim recipe and is made during id celebrations, but its popularity is so much that it is cooked in almost all homes and is a favorite of many of us.
the mushroom biryani is made in the traditional way of cooking on dum. dum pukht is a technique of cooking in steam by not allowing the steam to pass.
this mushroom biryani was different from the ones which i make as this one does not have tomatoes and some indian spice powders. i have also shared south indian mushroom biryani recipe, ambur biryani recipe with mushrooms, dindigul biryani with mushrooms and chettinad mushroom biryani recipe.
i have used birista in the mushroom biryani. for the newbies birista is crisp fried onions. the onions are sliced and then fried till golden brown. i have used birista in the layers as well as crushed the fried onions and added them to the gravy. and the birista does add a great deal of flavor, aroma and taste to the biryani.
mushroom biryani e dum pukht recipe below:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 to 3 tej patta
- 2 cinnamon each of 1 inch (dalchini)
- 2 pinches of grated nutmeg (jaiphal powder)
- 5 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 3 to 4 single mace strands (jayitri or javitri)
- 4 cups water
- salt as required
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 400 to 500 grams white button mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1.5 inches ginger and 6 to 7 medium garlic crushed or made into paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1.5 cups beaten curd (yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or yellow chili powder
- 2 teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 4 black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 tej patta
- 2 to 3 single mace strands (jayitri or javitri)
- ¾ portion of the birista (fried onions), crushed
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- ¼ portion of the birista (fried onions)
- 14 to 15 strands of saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoon of warm milk or warm water
- ⅓ cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- pick, clean and wash the rice.
in a pan add the whole spices, water, rice and salt. cook the rice till its ¾th done.
- remove the spices from the rice and keep aside.
- you could also make a bouquet garni with the rice and cook it with the rice.
- slice the onions and shallow fry them in oil till they become golden brown.
- take care not to burn the onions.
- keep aside.
in the same pan which you fried the onions add ghee. if there is leftover oil in the pan, then add 2 tbsp ghee. if there is no leftover oil, then add 3 tbsp ghee. once the ghee melts add the caraway seeds and all of the whole spices.
saute till the spices crackle. now add the mushrooms and saute for 5 mins.
- add the chili powder and mix it well with the mushroms.
add ¾th of the crushed birista and saute it with the mushrooms for a minute.
- now add the beaten curd and mix it with the mushrooms. simmer for 4-5 minutes.
afterwards add ½ cup of water and salt to the mushrooms and simmer for a further 10 mins or more till the gravy has thickened and the mushrooms have cooked.
- in a pan pour spoonfuls of the mushroom gravy and spread it evenly. this is your first layer.
- add the second layer of the cooked rice on top of the first layer.
sprinkle the saffron dissolved milk/water.
- also add some birista and chopped mint leaves.
- make the third layer of the mushroom gravy.
- cover it finally with the fourth layer of rice.
- again add the saffron milk and the birista along with chopped mint leaves.
- add some dots of ghee here and there.
cover the pan and cook on dum mushroom biryani for 20-25 minutes on a low flame.
- serve the mushroom biryani hot or warm with sliced onions and lemon salad, raita and papad.
if you are looking for more biryani recipes then do check palak biryani, chole biryani, restaurant style veg dum biryani, veg biryani in pressure cooker, hyderabadi veg biryani and mughlai veg biryani recipe.
step by step mushroom biryani e dum pukht recipe:
firstly wash and clean rice. in a pan cook the rice with the whole garam masala till its ¾th cooked and then keep aside.
when you keep the rice to cook on the pan, then in the meantime to shorten the entire cooking time, clean, rinse and chop the mushrooms and also slice the onions.
its time know to make the birista. heat oil and add sliced onions.
keep on turning the onions after few minutes to ensure they are evenly fried and browned. fry the onions till golden brown and keep aside.
warm milk or water and add saffron to it.
in the same pan in which you fried the onions, heat ghee and saute the caraway seeds/shah jeera and whole garam masala spices till they crackle.
add crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste.
fry the ginger garlic paste till their raw aroma disappears.
add the mushrooms to this mixture and saute for 5 mins.
in the meantime take ¾th of the fried onions reserving the remaining ¼th for layering. this ¾th of the birista you crush in a mixie or mortar and pestle.
add this crushed fried onions to the mushrooms.
add chili powder to the mixture and saute for 5 minutes.
then add beaten curd to the mushrooms and mix it thoroughly. i forgot to take a pic of this step. simmer for 4 to 5 mins. by now the mushrooms are half cooked.
if you see that the gravy is dry than add some water to it. add salt.
let the mushroom gravy simmer for a further 10 mins or more till the gravy has thickened and the mushrooms are cooked.
assembling the layers of mushroom dum biryani recipe:
the first layer is the layer of the mushroom gravy. take a pan and add some spoonfuls of the mushroom gravy to . spread it evenly.
spread the cooked rice evenly on top of the gravy.
sprinkle the saffron milk on the rice.
add the fried onions/birista and chopped mint leaves.
now again cover with the mushroom gravy… our third layer
and our last layer is the layer of rice again. repeat sprinkling the saffron milk and adding the birista and mint leaves. add some ghee to the last layer.
cover with a lid and keep the assembled biryani to slow cook on dum. seal the edges of the pan and the lid with aluminium foil if the lid is not tight. cook for some 20-25 minutes. and now your mushroom biryani is ready. this is how mushroom biryani looks from outside the pan.
and this is how mushroom biryani looks from inside the pan.