Palak biryani recipe With step by step photos – this recipe of spinach biryani is one easy biryani recipe. Gluten-free and vegan.
Usually making biryani is a very elaborate and time-consuming task. Although it is worth the time but many times we don’t have so much time and we look for easy solutions for our meals. If someday you want to try authentic veg biryani then I suggest you to check this detailed recipe of Hyderabadi veg biryani.
Coming back to this simple spinach biryani recipe. if you have spinach and want an easy as well as a satisfying meal, then do make this green palak biryani. Two more recipes you can make with rice and spinach combo are:
Pair the palak biryani with a boondi raita or just kachumber (side salad), pickle and papad and you have one complete meal. You can also have the biryani with some plain yogurt.
There are no layers in this method and you don’t have to cook two or three things. The spinach is pureed and then cooked with the onion, tomatoes, spices along with the rice. Easy and a quick biryani recipe unlike the regular biryanis.
I have also added almonds in the spinach puree just to give a creamy and smooth touch. the spinach blends very well with the aroma and flavors of the other ingredients resulting in a delicious biryani.
I have slightly overcooked the rice. I used 4.5 cups of water. If you use 3.5 or 4 cups of water (depending on the quality of rice), you will get separate grains of rice. Just make sure that you cover the pan tightly with the lid while cooking the rice.
How to make palak biryani
1. Rinse palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
2. Measure, rinse and chop 1 medium bunch of spinach leaves, 1 to 2 green chilies, ½ cup mint leaves, ½ cup coriander leaves and 5 to 6 almonds.
3. In a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
4. Add ½ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
5. First rinse and then soak the rice for 30 minutes.
6. Keep all the spice powders, whole spices and ginger-garlic paste ready for making spinach biryani.
Making palak biryani
7. Heat 3 tablespoon oil or ghee in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. Add 1 inch cinnamon, 1 small star anise (chakriphool), 2 green cardamoms, 1 to 2 black cardamoms, 2 to 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf and 1 pinch mace.
8. Fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant.
9. Add 1 large sized sliced onion.
10. Saute and fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
11. Add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
12. Add 1 pinch of hing (asafoetida).
13. Saute for few seconds.
14. Now add 1 medium-sized chopped tomato.
15. Fry till the tomatoes become soft for 2-3 minutes.
16. Keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan. add the spinach puree and stir.
17. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
18. Now add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon fennel powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder one by one and stir.
19. Add salt as required.
20. Stir and mix well.
21. Drain the soaked rice and add.
22. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
23. Pour 4 or 4.5 cups water.
24. Check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
25. Cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
26. Fluff the rice.
Serve Palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.
Few more biryani varieties
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 or 2 black cardamoms
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf tej patta
- 1 pinch mace (jayitri or javitri)
dry spice powders
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
for making palak puree
- 1 medium bunch of spinach
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 or 2 green chilies
- 5 to 6 almonds
making palak puree
- Rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
- Chop and keep aside. Rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves
- In a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
making palak biryani
- First rinse and then soak the rice. When the rice is soaking, prepare the spinach puree as mentioned above.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. Add all the whole spices.
- Fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. Remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. Now add hing and saute for few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the spinach puree and stir. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Now all the dry spice powders one by one and stir.
- Add salt as required. Drain the soaked rice and add. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Pour 4 or 4.5 cups water.
- Check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
- Cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Fluff the rice.
- Serve palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.