karela stir fry recipe – karela sabzi or karela fry is an easy and quick dish. this is a north indian style karela sabzi recipe as i have used the spices which are generally used in north indian cooking.
if you like karela or bitter gourd then only you will like this dish. not many people are fond of karela because of its bitter taste. i make a karela dish once in a fortnight as it is very good for health.
karela sabzi or karela stir fry recipe below:
- 250 grams tender karela (bitter gourd or bitter melon)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- rinse the karela in water first.
- slice the karela into thin round pieces.
- you can lightly peel the skin if you want before you slice them.
- heat oil in a frying pan or kadai.
- add the karela slices and saute on a low or medium flame till the slices
- become lightly browned. takes about 8-10 minutes. stir in between.
- now add all the dry spice powders and salt.
- stir and saute for 5-6 mins more on a low flame.
- lastly add the besan and saute for some minutes till the rawness of the besan or gram flour goes away. takes about 4-5 minutes more.
- garnish karela sabzi with coriander leaves.
- serve karela stir fry with dal-rice, kadhi-rice or sambar-rice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes