karela stir fry or karela sabzi is a easy and quick dish. this is a north indian style karela sabzi recipe as i have used the spices which are generally used in north indian cooking.
if you like karela or bitter gourd then only you will like this dish. not many people are fond of karela because of its bitter taste. i make a karela dish once in a fortnight as it is very good for health.
these karela stir fry can be served as a side dish with a combination of dal rice or rasam rice or sambar rice. you can also serve this karela sabzi with chapati or phulkas.
karela sabzi or karela stir fry recipe below:
- 250 gms tender karela/bitter gourd/bitter melon
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder/saunf powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ or 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur
- 1 tbsp gram flour/besan
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- rinse the karela in water first.
- slice the karela into thin round pieces.
- you can lightly peel the skin if you want before you slice them.
- heat oil in a frying pan or kadai.
- add the karela slices and saute on a low or medium flame till the slices
- become lightly browned. takes about 8-10 minutes. stir in between.
- now add all the dry spice powders and salt.
- stir and saute for 5-6 mins more on a low flame.
- lastly add the besan and saute for some minutes till the rawness of the besan or gram flour goes away. takes about 4-5 minutes more.
- garnish karela sabzi with coriander leaves.
- serve karela stir fry with dal-rice, kadhi-rice or sambar-rice.
Follow us on Social Media