karela fry recipe – kakarakaya fry or bitter gourd fry is an easy and quick dish. this is a north indian style karela fry recipe as i have used the spices which are generally used in north indian cooking. karela is also known as kakarakaya or bitter gourd or bitter melon.
if you like karela or bitter gourd then only you will like this dish. not many people are fond of karela because of its bitter taste. i make a karela dish once in a month as it is very good for health.
these karela fry can be served as a side dish with a combination of dal rice or rasam rice or sambar rice. you can also serve this karela fry with chapati or phulkas.
if you are looking for more vegetable recipes then do check:
karela fry recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR karela fry recipe
- 250 grams tender karela (bitter gourd or bitter melon or kakarakaya)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE karela fry recipe
preparation for karela fry recipe
- rinse the karela in water first.
- slice the karela into thin round pieces.
- you can lightly peel the skin if you want before you slice them.
making karela fry
- heat oil in a frying pan or kadai.
- add the karela slices and saute on a low or medium flame till the slices
- become lightly browned. takes about 8-10 minutes. stir in between.
- now add all the dry spice powders and salt.
- stir and saute for 5-6 mins more on a low flame.
- lastly add the besan and saute for some minutes till the rawness of the besan or gram flour goes away. takes about 4-5 minutes more.
- garnish karela fry with coriander leaves.
- serve bitter gourd fry with dal-rice, kadhi-rice or sambar-rice.
- this recipe can be doubled or tripled.